Hello wonderful people of HU,
I am sorry to yet again be posting another search for info, I hope one day to be a contributor but alas, I am still feeling very unwell. I've tried to speak to my doctor about all this and the line is usually - eat less/exercise more as its all down to my recent weight gain!!!!
This is my 4th Week of NDT I am raised to 2 grains (2 @4am and 2 @1pm), I am on a list of supplements and have started using ACV as well.
So here we go again:
1) Myxedema: How can you tell if you have it? I am swollen all over and do find it hard to pinch certain areas of the body, though some swollen areas I can still pinch. I am looking at taking NAC for this, but is it bad to take if I have mis-self diagnosed this?
2) Is it possible to have too much T4 from ndt? From my last blood tests its clear that I do have low T4 but also that I am not converting it to T3, are there any adverse effects of a build up of T4 that isnt being converted to T3? I ask this as I have been presented with a host of new symptoms since starting NDT. Namely, fibromyalgia like 'symptoms'. I think this is surely all part of being hypo though and I don't actually have Fybro?
3) I do seem to be feeling worse than before, could this be that I am still under medicated or that I am having an adverse reaction to NDT (too much t4 as above)?
4) Waking up in the mornings is super painful- My whole body aches/ hurts, I have bad acid reflux and walking on my feet/ankles is so so painful. I'm 34 years old and my grandmother can run circles around me!
5) Swollen neck/ Thyroid?: My neck has been getting progressively more swollen, and with that dry/lump in throat feeling. I was told I had a goitre but it doesn't look like a ball as such - more like a 'thick neck, like some one on steroids' This has seemed to been getting worse since starting NDT. Is this cause for concern, should I try and get a scan? (My GP is already dubious, I don't want to have to go and fight unless its really necessary")
List of most common symptoms;
Some are worse/more frequent than others but here is the list:
- Constant inflammation/swelling/ retaining of water
- Daily acid reflux ( I take Betaine HCI with meals but this doesn't seem to be helping'
- Irritable bladder
- constipation / Diarrhoea
- No energy ( I think I have about 4 hours in the day where I am working on reserves and then I just crash)
- Weight Gain - monthly! I seem to bloat each month around the period and then never de-bloat. Total weight gain about 4 stn since October.
- Hair thinning
- Brittle hair and nails
- dry itchy flaky scalp ( this seems to have been better since using PK shampoo)
- Abdominal pain - always on the right side (kidney pain?)
- Pain getting out of bed in my feet, every morning.
- Violent mood swings
- Foggy brain
- Small Goitre
- Pain down inner right leg and groin
- Lumps around jawline
- Constant need to pop ears
- Hay fever symptoms (never had it before)
- Very dry skin
- Dry itchy lump in throat feeling (this has come since starting ndt)
-Stabbing pains - sometimes in the legs sometimes the stomach very random.
- hard to breath
List of Supplements:
Selenium 200 mcg
B-12 5000 mg
B-Right (Jarrow) Methylcobalamin B12 + Pantethine + P-5-p
Vitamin D3 5,000 iu
Cod Liver Oil 1000 mg
Zinc 25 mg
Magnesium 500 mg
Methyl folate (starting today)
Vit K2 (starting today)
NAC (on order)
Iron (on order)
' "Plasma vitamin B12 level" 510 ng/L (200 - 900)
' "Serum folate" 7.4 ug/L (2 - 17)
"Full blood count - FBC"
' "Total white cell count" 8.0 10*9/L (4.0 - 25.0)
' "Red blood cell (RBC) count" 4.29 10*12/L (3.5 - 5.5)
'"Haemoglobin estimation" 125 g/L (100 - 165)
"Haematocrit" 0.38 ratio (0.32 - 0.47)
' "Mean corpuscular volume (MCV)" 88.5 fL (75 - 105)
' "Red blood cell distribut width" 12.1 (11 - 15)
' "Mean corpusc. haemoglobin(MCH)" 29.2 pg (26 - 35)
-"MCHC" 330 g/L (290 - 350)
Will be filed as: 429..00 Mean corpusc. Hb. conc. (MCHC)
' "Platelet count" 299 10*9/L (150 - 450)
-"HYPOCHROMIA %" 0.5 %
Will be filed as: 42EZ.00 RBC colour/staining NOS
"Blood film microscopy"
"Neutrophil count" 5.2 10*9/L (2 - 7.5)
'"Lymphocyte count" 2.1 10*9/L (1 - 4)
"Monocyte count" 0.4 10*9/L (0.2 - 0.8)
' "Eosinophil count" 0.1 10*9/L (0.0 - 0.4)
•"Basophil count" 0.0 10*9/L (0 - 0.1)
-"Serum ferritin" 60 ug/L (15 - 250)
Ferritin ref. range - Mean value higher in post
"Serum total 25-OH vit D level"
"Serum total 25-OH vit D level" 66 nmol/L (75 - 200) "Low"
Vitamin D status may be adequate or borderline
insufficient. Advise supplement only if clinically
indicated. If follow up of vitamin D level
required, allow 3 months before re-testing.
' "Serum calcium" 2.33 mmol/L (2.10 - 2.60)
' "Calcium adjusted level" 2.25 mmol/L (2.10 - 2.60)
' "Serum inorganic phosphate" 0.99 mmol/L (0.80 - 1.50)
▪"Serum albumin" 44 g/L
In pregnancy Albumin reference range:
12 weeks: 31 - 51 g/L
24 weeks: 26 - 45 g/L
36 weeks: 23 - 42 g/L
DHEAS (Blood Spot) 153 μg/dL 40-290
SHBG (Blood Spot) 30 nmol/L 15-120
Free T4 (Blood Spot)* 1.2 ng/dL 0.7-2.5
Free T3 (Blood Spot) 2.8 pg/mL 2.5-6.5
TSH (Blood Spot) 1.2 μU/mL 0.5-3.0
TPOab (Blood Spot)* 92 IU/mL 0-150 (70-150 borderline)