Need Encouragement

After years of feeling bloated and terrible for no reason, all tests normal, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's back in March with Thyroid antibodies with these results:

TSH 2.024uIU/ml T3 Total 80 ng/ml Free T4 1.04 ng/dl

After 2 months on 25mcg Levo I have these results:

TSH .895uIU/ml T3 1.30 ng/ml Free T4 1.30 ng/dl

My Endo felt this was an improvement and I should feel better, but I don't. She was either going to stop the meds (if they are making no difference) or add 2.5 mcg Liothyronine SOD. I asked her to add this as not being medicated at all clearly wasn't working.

My biggest gripe is digestive issues, but I also have 15-20 lbs weight gain, and puffiness and joint pain that I can't connect to specific foods. And athletes foot that I can't seem to shake. I am doing a cross between autoimmune paleo and intermittent fasting with bulletproof coffee (Coffee with MCT oil and grassfed ghee for breakfast no food until 2 and no eating after 8 so you "fast" 18hrs a day) ,mostly because I feel better the less I eat. So no nightshades, no grains, no dairy, no eggs, no soy, no corn, no nuts/seeds/legumes, no citrus... I am on supplements galore (benfotiamine, probiotics, Formula SF722, B vitamins, D vitamins, glutathione, selenium, digestive enzymes, magnesium, triphala, calcium d-glucarate, NAC, fish oil..Not all everyday) I know I had a Vitamin D deficiency, not sure of any others. I eat all whole foods, lots of spinach and kale, healthy fats, quality meat fish and poultry. Filter my water and HEPA filter the air...

I have read Root Cause, The Hashimoto's Protocol, The Autoimmune Solution and the Elimination Diet. I AM TRYING. SO. HARD.

I guess the point was, has anyone out there had an Ah-Ha moment they could share? Something you added in or cut out that made a big difference? I know it takes time, but for all I'm doing, my results aren't measurable enough and its frustrating.

Skip

Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by thyroid conditions by providing support, information and guidance.

Follow

Featured by HealthUnlocked

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • LinzD,

Can you post the T3 and T4 lab ref ranges please. It's not possible to see whether your T3 and T4 are good or bad without them. TSH 0.895 indicates 25mcg is an appropriate dose.

• T3 Range 58-159

Free T4 .7-1.48

TSH .35-4.9

But I have been within range for a few years with symptoms

• Linzd,

FT4 1.30 is in the upper range which indicates adequate medication. I'm afraid I'm not used to Total T3 so I won't be able to interpret that.

Have you had ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate checked? Low/deficient symptoms can present similar to hypothyroid symptoms.

• I haven't, only D which I was deficient in. My iron was tested before and found to be ok. I take B12, I could add folate as well.

• Linzd,

You only need to supplement what you are deficient in. If you haven't tested any of ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate in the last 12 months it is worth doing so to check levels are optimal.

• Did you get your B12 and folate tested as well as ferritin? Test results aren't always reliable for B12 but worth getting tested.

• Magnesium is cofactor when taking vitamin D & can help in its own right too.

Have you tried taking Levo at bedtime- research suggests it may be more beneficial. Some of us find it very good, others try it and don't like it, or no different. I find it much more convenient & works better for me too.

Good quality vitamin B complex will have folate in

If taking B complex you need to stop it 4-5 days prior to any thyroid TSH test as biotin in most B complex can mess up TSH results

endocrinenews.endocrine.org...

• I didn't stop taking Biotin before doing this last test. I wonder if it could have affected my numbers.

• Possibly- another member on here got completely different result when she repeated her test after stopping biotin

• I used to Intermittent Fast years ago and it helped me lose weight successfully. However since being diagnosed with Hashimotos I've stopped as I couldn't do it - made me feel very light headed and ill. I believe Hashimotos can screw up blood sugars, so since switching to eating at regular intervals, including breakfasts, and eating a lot more healthy fats I've felt a lot better

• What I have heard is that it takes six months of being on the gluten-free dairy free soy free etc. before The gut starts to heal. You're doing all the right things . I begin to add 1 tablespoon of Braggs vinegar (unfiltered with the "mother") - which is a type of enzyme addition . With the digestion issues that you speak of it may be that you are low on digestive enzyme's . I have Hashimoto's and I did Test low on digestive enzyme's . There are other kinds of enzymes you might want to look into . Proteolytic enzyme's are one but they're powerful and you must go slow if you decide to Use them. You don't need both proteolytic enzyme's and digestive enzymes - try One or the other in an experiment . There are chewable digestive enzymes for children that I like - they contain mostly bromelene. Very mild digestive enzymes . The vinegar works maybe better than any of them . And oh yes be sure and stir the vinegar in a cup of clean water and drink it right down. I start my day with that little concoction and I don't have to have it again . However you can drink that mixture several times a day if you continue to have digestion issues . My doctor told me that some people have trouble with thyroid medications because they don't have the digestive enzymes. But you can actually be tested to see what your digestive enzymes are like .

You will find a lot of encouragement here and I know you will find better health Soon! Hang in there - keep reading here and please let us know when you start to feel some results and feel better . The enzymes were truly an Ah Ha moment for me .

You may also like...