Just come back from the doctor.
I have come clean to her about me stopping my medication and whilst she was surprised that I stopped it she was also surprised that the TSH dropped by itself. She appreciates that I’ve found this tough and has persuaded me to start over. I also explained to her that the Endo stated in her report I had Vitamin D deficiency (43.6 with normal range >75), which should be controlled and its symptoms to resolve within a few months (Endo’s words in the report). She now agrees with this finding.
She offered to put me back onto the Fultium D3 at 800IU – I’m guessing that’s the standard treatment and dose – but I said that I managed to get hold of a bigger dose of Vitamin D at 3000IU. She’s happy for me to continue to use this and thinks the Vitamin D deficiency will resolve itself much quicker than in a few months as stated by the Endo, but she isn’t so sure I should be taking Vitamin B12 supplements (1000mcg) as I am not deficient in this and my latest result was 363, only in the bottom third of the range (180-900). So she’s a bit dubious about me using B12 supplements and has said that she does not think I need folic acid supplements even though I am low in this. (4.1 with normal range 4.6-18.7)
Iron she definitely wants me to keep going with although the rise in Ferritin has been slight (15 in August, 22 in December – Spatone was started in October. Normal range is 30-400). That was only on one dose out of a possible 4 I'm allowed per day and so I might need to increase the extra doses even more slowly than expected if I am getting sick on them.
She is also concerned that my Endo appointment has been moved from 15th April to 20th May.
She can only go on my last TSH result conducted at the surgery unfortunately, as she is unable to access the blood test results arranged by my Endo at the hospital. The practice receptionist has also said she cannot access them either – the only thing that both of them can see from the test done last week is that it was conducted at the practice.
Based on my last TSH result of 2.7 (0.27-4.2) my GP has suggested that as my TSH was not bad at that time – and was not controlled by medication – I restart my dose as follows:
* 25mcg – 6 weeks
* 50mcg – 6 weeks onwards before next blood test is done.
I’m now trying to put a treatment plan in place (I have no luck whatsoever with ventures like this…) and have decided not to do too much at once. So I will look at doing the following:
* Starting the thyroxine at the restarted dose (25mcg) straightaway
* Re-introducing the iron (Spatone) 2 weeks in at 1 dose per day for a week and moving the dose up by 1 the following week after that.
* Re-introducing the Vitamin D 2 weeks after the iron supplement at full dose (I think that should be ok as I can’t adjust the dose from a spray bottle!)
* Re-introducing the Vitamin B12 3 weeks after the Vitamin D at full dose (again, I think that should be ok too…)
* Look into buying folic acid supplements IF I can get them cheap enough. I have noticed that Holland and Barrett do something called Beetroot Powder, which sounds interesting. Not sure how effective this is though as there are no reviews on it.
* Holland and Barrett also do Floradix but only the Magnesium one. Not sure if this contains iron.
I’ve tried and tried to call the Endo throughout yesterday but she is not available when I get through to the department. All I can do is to keep trying but I don’t know how much more of that I can do. I will also tell her that my medication has been restarted due to me stopping it previously.
Are they likely to post the TSH/coeliac results to me if this keeps up? I only ask as when I had the Short Synacthen Test done back in January (which was all normal) the results were posted to me then and without me requesting them. Just wondered if this is a routine thing that they do…In which case I could be waiting until the end of this week for them!
If the TSH is much higher than what my GP’s dose is set for, I guess I can adjust it as necessary.
Are they likely to include a prescription slip for me to hand in to the chemist regarding a new dose? After all, they were the ones who ordered the test and this is surely something my own GP shouldn’t be doing if the test was not ordered through them.