bursitis in right hip (trochanteric bursitis)

I have been told I have bursitis in right hip. The pain is unbearable. I started with pain Christmas 2013. It started just above my knee, I saw a doctor in the new year and he put a steroid injection in to my leg and it eased the pain then I started with severe pain in my hip and leg. I went backwards and forwards to doctors for 6 months, had physio, every painkiller, 3 steroid injections, MRI scan, xrays, more physio, sent to a orthopaedic surgeon, discharged from surgeon, back to docs then awaited an appointment for pain clinic, it goes on and on. 2 years and 2 months later I'm still in agony, seeing a pain clinic doc, seen a pain clinic physio, awaiting an appointment for pain management, CBT, to help me cope with the pain for good, I have been told I will always have the bursitis but hopefully when I do eventually have CBT and pain management (not sure that's what they call it) I will have some relief from the pain this is the worse pain I have ever had. I have pain in my hip bone too and pain killers don't work. They make me drowsy and sleepy and feel shit. I've had co-codamol tramadol and morphine. . I use a tens machine which helps a little but its all about trying to keep mobile which is hard and exercise is agony. Ive been on amitriptyline for nearly 7 years ( due to back pain) I'm so sick and fed up of the pain now its taken over my life. I'm starting work as a night care assistant next week which I am looking forward too. I am so fed up its unreal.

Last edited by

17 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sorry to hear you are suffering. I have chronic bursitis of both hips. Like you i have had numerous steroid injections and they work for a few months, but then the pain comes back with avengence. Other than a pain management plan from a pain clinic, i have had no joy either.

• Sorry to hear your suffering too.the steroid injections didnt work at all for me just crippled me for a few days i have got to the stage now after 2 years and 3 months that i have more than had enough but i have to wait for pain management or whatever it is called. Im starting work tomorrow as a night care assistant hopefully i will manage to do it

The doctors that are involved in my care have to set up this pain management clinic so think ill be lucky if it happens this year have you tried all the painkillers cos for me there crap i cant take anti inflammortiries as i have asthma i think after so long your bofy gets used to them

I do have a tens machine and i use voltoral 12 hour cream it depends on how much pain im in to whether it helps or not.

• I use Buprenorphine patches which are slow release over 7 days. These seem to help to a degree as I have chronic back pain too after spinal surgery from an accident. Even though painful to touch, massages help from time to time.

• I have had morphine but it only made me drowsy and sleepy and the doctors dont want me on it ive tried gabopentin they made me feel crap, im only 39, 40 in june can i ask how old you are

I believe that since the pain started in my hip that for me painkilkers dont work below the waist line but thats just me at present im take co codamol which are useless

• I am 37 years old. The Buprenorphine patches don't make me drowsy. I gave up on codeine a long time ago as it is just addictive and gives you headaches

• how long have you had bursitis in both hips. its 26 months for me and I don't even know how it started or what I did to set it off cos they do say bursitis is related to people is who do a lot of sport.

All I know is that every movement however little is agony.

• I have had it for 10 years plus, from doing a lot of sports when i was able to/

• The moment is so painful that is so accurate.

• I am new here and I hope i can find the answer if you all answer me lol. I was diagnosed w bursitis, but here lately I have been having this horrible like electric shock in my hip. I just got back from the ER and they think it is ridicaopathy (hv no clue how to spell it) I just don't think they really understood me. They kept saying muscle spasms, I hv had a lot of spasms (in 2008 had spinal fusion S1 -L5) this is way way more painful and with an electric shock that makes me yell out. Is this part of bursitis? I hv had sciatica and it was a bad deep annoying pain and went all down my leg, but this is so different. I'm just trying to figure out what it is so I can get the right help. Thanks in advance for any answers

• Clare, what kind of back surgery did you have? I need back surgery and have been delaying because I have heard so many bad stories resulting from the surgery.

• Hi, My spinal surgery was removal off shattered disc embedded in my spinal cord, followed by pins and bone graft from my pelvis and then fusion of L5/S1 via 2 metal rods and screws.

The surgery was life changing for me. Immediately after the surgery I was in a lot less pain. Unfortunately I suffered nerve damage from the shattered disc which left my left leg paralysed initially. 3 years on I still have numbness and weakness in my leg, but the pain in my back is so much better now.

• Hi, I have the same exact issues but in my leg hip and leg, plus arthritis and sacroliac joint disfunction, been in pain for about 8 years, hardly any relieve anymore even with shots. I can hardly work, do things at home, or go anywhere because of the riding in a vehicle. My husband is pretty tired of it also. I had hip replacement in Jan 2011 had no bursitis for about a year. But fell twice in bad weather and it has been back the last two years and worse then ever. Pain med are hard for me because I am allergic to so much. Have had many steroid shots, makes me week. I hardly eat anything that has salt in it, or acid, makes it shoot down my hip and leg. In back pain also. I know how you feel I am so tired of it.

I checked a lot of sites out myself, trying different things, now a NUCA Doctor, exercise is hard to do because it aggravates it worse. I been to all sorts of doctors, thought my new hip was bad, but they all say no. I ice all the time, get cold so easily.

I do use voltaren gel on my leg to help with inflammation, maybe your doctor can recommend that. Wish they would take the bursa out but cannot find a doctor that will do that. Let me know who things go for you.

• hi, sorry to hear your suffering too. Like you ive seen every doctor been told they cant remove the bursa. I have to deal with it now and I'm starting to but waiting for some (pain management (CBT) where they teach you to train your brain to think differently about pain (mentally, physically, emotionally etc) I use heat, ice and voltarol on my hip and leg (have also been told that I have the very early stages of arthritis in my hip) every movement is agony, exercise is agony ive just started working as a night care assistant. Ive tried everything and nothing really work even the steroid injections didn't touch me.

• Hi, I am so sorry that your going through everything the same as me. I am trying the Virgin Diet for 21 days to see if the foods I eat is effecting my pain more. 7 things you need to stay away from. Gluten, sugars, and artificial sweeteners, corn and anything with corn syrup, soy, dairy, eggs, and peanuts. It is very hard, some fruit which is high in sugar banana's which I love, pineapple, watermelon, grapes, papaya and mango's you cannot have either. I bought the book and it tells you all the food you can eat and what you can't. My sister-law has rheumatoid arthritis and this has helped her pain, she also lost 7 pounds the first week. I have an injection in my back on Monday, I am doing better but it took a long time to get in with the pain management doctor that I will probably get it anyway. Hopefully it will help my back and not make my hip worse. Lets keep in touch to see how were both doing. Take Care.

• Hi, I am sorry to hear of your pain, I do know how it feels first hand.  I found some research by Dr Klemnes which was done in the 1950's on bursitis and begged my physician to give me a B12 shot, I had miraculous results for a few days, but the pain came back.  Since he wouldn't give me more regular B12 shots (or allow me to follow the protocol Dr Klemnes developed) I had to come up with an inventive way to get the B12 I needed.  I also had difficulty swallowing (which I had no idea was caused by the B12 deficiency also) and so put together a website detailing the protocol I followed which healed me from both the dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) as well as the bursitis I had had for seven years.  I have added the link here, in case you are interested? difficulty-swallowing.com/  Good luck in finding a cure too!

• I, too, have a malfunctioning esophagus. It doesn't pulsate (push food down as it is supposed to do). I need some teeth to chew with. I need some pulled and some false choppers. I am afraid they are going to flop around and I will still have problems chewing. Oh, dear, the list goes on and on. Sorry for all my posts and illnesses, I, myself, am sick of having them and mentioning them. I guess I am depressed, too.

• ive finally got an appointment for pain management or what ever it starts in july although I'm not convinced my doctor has just put me back on gabapentin again and the side effects are unreal I'm trying to take them as I suppose to as I now having agonising pain in my hip bone and it hurts so much. I still have agony in my hip too and I also use a tens machine as well as my regular medication

You may also like...