Divorce, depression, and anxiety

Hi all, just found this place. The combination of going through a divorce and the holidays is really ramping up my anxiety lately. I went to my doctor and got an Rx for Xanax, but haven't noticed any relief from it. I'm 6'3" and 200 lbs and she prescribed 0.25 mg, 1/2 to 1 tablet 2x a day as needed.

I was wondering if this seems like a small dose for my size? Thank you for reading this post.

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Call her if it isn't working. You may need more. Are you on any other meds? They can help too. Or maybe just give it a chance. Xanax works very well.

• It's not much of a dose but many people don't need much. Xanax also is short acting. It's effective for a few hours. Think of a traditional bell curve. Xanax peaks and then wanes. Your problem is short term, or at least that's the hope. There are long term anti-anxiety meds but they come with a price...side effects you won't like. I think your Dr. is trying to avoid that. Call if you think you need a dose adjustment. You won't know the answer if you don't ask. If you don't ask, your Dr. thinks all is well.

• Thank you both for your advice and input.

• Xanax is very powerful and I was told by my Dr. that it changes brain chemistry, to be careful with it. You need however much you need to get relief temporarily for situational anxiety. I take and recommend Ativan when need. I take 1 MG tabs when needed up to twice daily but often don't. I am single also and have gone thru divorce hell. It gets better, really. Distraction works admirably for anxiety. Good luck.

• Thanks, Rider. I was under the impression Xanax and Ativan are very similar. I was thinking of asking my Dr. about Valium too as an option. She put me on Wellbutrin recently, and I feel like that is magnifying the anxiety and making it worse. And you are spot on; divorce is hell.

You may also like...