Blood test results

Hi I collected my blood test results today and I wonder if u could help me understan them:

Plasma free T4 level 10.6 pmol/L (6.3 - 14.0)

Plasma TSH level. 17.16 mu/L (0.3 _ 5.6) above high reference limit

B12 and Folate

Serum vitamin B12 level >1500 pg/ml (180.0 - 914.0) above high reference limit

Plasma folate level 10ng/mL (4.0 - 20.0)

Ferritin

Serum ferritin level 10 ug/L (11.0 - 307.0) below low reference limit

Bone and Liver

Plasma alanine aminotransferase level 12iu/L (14.0 - 54.0) below low reference li£it

-ron/TIBC

Plasma total iron binding capacity 72umol/L (40.0 - 70.0) above high reference range

A f what. I have put on here I don't understand I hope someone out there does and can. Enlighten me.

Thank you

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Your Free T4 is pretty much in the middle of the range (could be a bit higher). But your TSH is way high.

It seems likely that your thyroid is being asked to make more thyroid hormone - but can't. That would explain the significantly raised TSH but very middling FT4. And I would expect your levothyroxine dose to be raised.

B12 - you are supplementing, are you not? Anyway almost certainly fine.

Ferritin is low and TIBC high - you need to do something about this. Maybe getting thyroid hormone back up a bit and iron supplementation is in order. Make sure they are taken at least four hours apart.

ALT low is insignificant.

Have you been tested for thyroid antibodies?

Rod

• What are thyroid antibodies? What do they do or what do they tell you?

• Have a read here:

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

If you are positive for antibodies, that strongly suggests you have autoimmune thyroid disease - often called Hashimoto's. It is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the UK, USA and other places which generally have enough iodine and selenium in their diets.

• Yes I was tested for antibodies and they were <33 iu/ml (0.0 - 60.0). My levothyroxine has been raised from 125mcg to 150mcg going for another blood test monday to see if my TSH has gone down. Going to make sure I am referred to see an endocrinologist when I see the doctor next week.

Will let you know what happens and thanks for all your help.

You may also like...