Results concerning me

So I managed to get 5 years worth of blood tests.

I've listed the significant items I think are worth looking at. I'd really appreciate people's interpretation of my results.

All issues on the list are linked to Hypothyroid although my recent result is TSH 2.0 (0.27-4.2)

24/10/12 - ferritin 15 (13-150)

03/10/13 - low haematocrit - 0.359 (0.36-0.46) (low throughtout last 5 years)

21/10/14 - high serum creatine - 84 (44-80) kidney. Linked to hypothyroidism

21/10/14 - ferritin 36 (13-150) - low end of scale. Linked to hypothyroidism

21/01/14 - gfr 78/ml - kidney damage

03/02/15 - ferritin 29 (13-150)

03/02/15 - TSH 2.71 (0.27-4.2)

03/02/15 - FT3 4.8 (3.9-6.7)

03/02/15 - FT4 15.4 (12-22)

18/04/16 - ferritin 39 (13-150)

18/04/16 - gfr 76/ml - kidney damage

18/04/16 - TPOAb 5.9 iu/ml

Internet says there seems to be a strong links between kidney issues and thyroid - although my GP has never mentioned my results regarding my kidneys (even though they were highlighted in the tests)

I have terrible brain fog sometimes, so much fatigue. Terrible sleep (restless legs and never getting a full night's sleep). Joint pain. Depression. The list goes on...

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance for your comments... :)

17 Replies

• The restless legs are probably due to that low ferritin. Have you never supplemented iron?

Joint pain could be due to low vit D. Have you had that tested? And how about vit B12 and folate? All very important.

Are you on any form of thyroid hormone replacement? If so, you need an increase in dose. If not, your thyroid is struggling.

You're negative for anitbodies, but one negative test does not completely rule out Hashi's.

I'm afraid I don't know much about kidneys.

• I'm taking ferrous sulphate for my ferritin. And also B12 5000mcg.

I'm not on thyroid hormone replacement. I've previously been given completely conflicting advice on here regarding taking T3, so I'm not really sure what to do!

• OK, well, best to take 1000 mcg vit C with your iron, to aid absorption. And a B complex with the B12 to balance the Bs.

Although your TSH is a bit high, it's not really hypo at the moment. I'm not really sure that self-medication is justified at this point. And certainly not whilst you have such low iron. It just won't help you. You need to get your nutrients up, first.

Did you have your vit D tested?

• Decreased circulation that results from hypothyroid doesn’t allow the kidneys or each and every one of our cells to properly dispose of waste products. The health of the kidneys and the person suffers. The main job of the kidneys is to regulate the amount of water in the body and balance the concentration of mineral ions in the blood. Thyroid dysfunction causes remarkable changes in kidney function and regulation of water and mineral ions is impaired.

Gout is caused by an inability to metabolize uric acid and the accumulation of uric acid, notably in the drainage system of the kidneys (as stones) and in the joints, especially the big toe. If the basal body temperature (and thus the basal metabolic rate) is low, the body is even less able to metabolize uric acid.

• Hi, I'm not quite sure how to interpret your reply! Are you just confirming that kidney and hypothyroidism are linked?

As my TSH is 2.0 I can't be diagnosed as hypo... :/

• If there is a thyroid problem which results in a slow metabolism, this reduces the blood flow to the kidneys and this causes the kidney problems.

TSH is not the best indicator of thyroid function - T3 is the active thyroid hormone which controls the metabolism and therefore the symptoms and Free T3 is the best measure of it.

A very good indication of thyroid function is basal temperature - your temperature in bed first thing in the morning.

• Thank you. Will get a thermometer!

• Basal temp for me is 35.9. Is that low?

• It doesn't really matter which kind of thermometer you use when doing the basal temperature test, although it is important to be consistent in how you do it.

1) Note the reading, and do it for several mornings so the results can be averaged out, since they may vary slightly day by day.

2) If you have taken your temperature under the tongue, the normal temperature is 36.5ºC to 37.2ºC (97.7ºF to 99.0ºF)

If your temperature is below 36.5ºC (97.7ºF), hypothyroidism should be considered if symptoms are present.

• Thanks - it was taken under the tongue. 35.9 today and yesterday. Will keep doing it.

• I have just looked at one of your previous postings and see that your sister has hypothyroidism (badly) and bro has diabetes type 1.

When there is more than one family member with thyroid issues there is a possibility of a genetic thyroid condition. I have been researching this: Impaired Sensitivity to Thyroid Hormone (more often known as Thyroid Hormone Resistance). It causes symptoms similar to hypothyroid and requires very high T3 levels in the body to overcome the resistance.

If there are other family members with fibromyalgia, CFS, ME, Coeliac Disease, MS, Heart Disease, thyroid or depression this would further support this.

• Yes, you mentioned this in a different post to me last week. Autoimmune does run in my family. My grandfather had diabetes type 1, and a stroke.

You mentioned needing T3 to combat this, but I'm nervous taking T3 unnecessarily and causing myself further issues... do you know what the complications might be if I take T3 and don't have the resistance?

• T3 is also an effective treatment for hypothyroidism and there are no complications, provided you do not take too much.

It is important to increase the dose gradually and monitor your symptoms, including heart rate and temperature. If you take too much you will feel shaky, your heart rate will be high and you will probably have loose bowel movements. The symptoms are the same as hyperthyroid and there is a full list on the Thyroid UK website.

The best way to tell if you have thyroid hormone resistance is through a trial of T3. If you can take a high dose of T3 with no signs of overstimulation and your hypothyroid symptoms are significantly improved (or disappear) then the diagnosis is confirmed.

• Gilberts syndrome and low GFR seem to be linked

According to goggle Gilberts syndrome and thyroid may also be linked

Vitamin d levels very important ....can you get previous results or get tested if not been done.

Antibodies - there are two sorts - TPO and TG. You can be high in either or both. Sadly the NHS never seems to check TG antibodies

Private tests can be done if GP won't agree

• I had both TPO and TG. But actual TG results aren't listed. Just mentioned as 'normal'

Requesting Vit D on Friday as I have an appointment. Thank you!

• Polly,

Your thyroid hormone results show you are euthyroid (previous post) but you appear to have many hypothyroid symptoms. This means you have enough thyroid hormone in the blood stream so have good test results but it is not getting into your cells to be activated.

Adrenal problems could cause receptor uptake problems as the adrenals hormones are intricately connected to good thyroid function. Are you menopausal or do you have difficult periods ? ? .. Do you know of any sex hormone deficiencies ? ? .. (oestrogen, progesterone, etc)

Every cell in the body has receptors for thyroid hormone and T3 (active hormone) has to get inside the cells by binding to the nuclear receptor..Thyroid receptor resistance is when thyroid hormone cannot get into the cell so causing low thyroid symptoms despite “normal” thyroid hormone levels in the body. Receptor site defects can be caused by elevations in cortisol, homocysteine, sex hormone imbalances, etc ... .

TBG (thyroxine-binding globulin is one of three proteins that binds the highest amount of thyroid hormones T4 & T3 in (blood plasma) circulation. (Others are transthyretin & serum albumin). It will become elevated with high oestrogen and bind all thyroid hormone leaving too little free to get into the cells.

High testosterone will encourage too little TBG which might leave too much free thyroid hormone circulating in the blood stream (giving you good results) but too much free hormone can shut down receptor sites and cause insensitivity meaning T3 can’t enter.

For the proper use of thyroid hormone by the body, optimal nutrients//iron & adequate cortisol levels are required in order to make make//use the enzymes that mediate all the chemical processes.

Most GP’s don't know the connection between low “active” thyroid hormone and slow kidney function. Most doctors & endos would look at your thyroid test results and say there is nothing wrong.

Ask your GP to test all sex hormones and email for a list of sympathetic endos//doctors that members have had positive experiences with.

Good advice re sups already given by grey goose.

• Hi, I have heavy but short periods.

My testosterone is high as I have PCOS.

I will ask to have my sex hormones tested. Thank you so much for your input.

You may also like...