Levodopa Medications, Vitamin B6, and the Hinz protocol

For the purposes of this post, levodopa medication refers to prescription medications like Sinemet, Rytary, or Madopar that contain carbidopa or benserazide. For simplicity when I refer to carbidopa that also includes benserazide .

According to Marty Hinz, carbidopa will deplete your vitamin B6 and cause declining health. This is a bit of an exaggeration. It is true that if a molecule of B6 encounters a molecule of carbidopa they will bind together and neutralize each other. That will happen if you take them close together in time - they will meet up in your stomach or small intestine. So do not take vitamin B6 and levodopa medication together! Allow at least two hours between one and the other, and five hours after taking a timed release version of levodopa, before taking B6.

Once the B6 is clear of your GI tract the carbidopa will meet up with the enzyme that converts levodopa to dopamine, and neutralize that, which is what is supposed to do. Some carbidopa may get into circulation and neutralize some B6, but this doesn't matter as long as you have plentiful B6 in circulation.

Case in point, in the morning I take a multivitamin with 40 mg of B6, and B complex with 50 mg of B6, and I wash it down with Emergen-C which has another 10 mg of B6, for 100 mg of B6 in all. In the evening I take C/L 50/200 for a total of 50 mg of carbidopa daily. So I have an abundance of B6 in circulation that will never be neutralized by the carbidopa. Nonetheless the carbidopa does what it is supposed to do because circulating B6 is not a problem. It only interferes with carbidopa when it is in the GI tract. If I am going to be social and want to show no sign of tremor during the day, I can take a morning dose of levodopa medication if I wait two hours after taking my B6.

If the Hinz protocol is working for you that's great, no harm done, but it is not necessary to preserve your vitamin B6.

5 Replies
oldestnewest

hmmmmm....

Interesting and clearly explained thanks.

1 like

Nice. I’m taking uridine after a post by WackaMole about a year ago. Park Bear, what about other vitamin depletion’s ?

1 like

Not that I am aware of at this time. Yes, I just saw that uridine post and read up on it. Do you think it has been helpful?

Too early to say. If I never get dyskinesia then we might be on to somerthing! Google it?

You may also like...