Clamped for Week 1 Run 2

Well, having struggled with pain on Monday when I went back to week 1 run 1 following surgery, today I decided to clamp myself into not only one ultra high intensity sports bra, but also a second sports bra underneath. So although I could hardly breath, let alone move, I set off with Laura to attempt Week 1 run 2. Unfortunately I was still in pain during the running parts, so had to revert to clamping my hand against my breast to limit movement even further, but I managed to do all 8 runs and completed 5k in about 34 minutes.

Not sure what to try next - or weather I just need to keep on and hope the pain gradually lessens.

Having said that, it was a lovely morning out there, I got to run/walk through some lovely Autumnal woodland. :-)

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Is the pain coming from your surgery or from the fact your breasts need more support?

Well done on the run btw.

• Pain is from the surgery, I think - reconstruction after mastectomy is still uncomfortable (and that was January) slightly less invasive surgery on other breast 2 weeks ago, but that is still painful. However my consultant was encouraging me to get out and exercise including running when I saw him last Friday, and I had previously got to week 8 run 3 the day before the op, so I'm really missing running (and the gym).

Today I will just do a gentle session at the gym.

• I didn't realise you'd had a mastectomy. Gosh I think that's brilliant and brave that you've got back to running. Go you!

• I have never run, but after my January surgery I decided I needed to get fit and healthy. So I sorted out a healthy diet and started going more regularly to the gym with the help of a personal trainer provided by Macmillan Cancer Charity. She was great, but in July suggested that I should include a little bot of running in my 10 minute walking warm up on the treadmill as part of my work out. I had a go and said it was way too painful, and that was that. AT the same time a close friend of mine was talking about doing C25K, and I thought, well if she can do it, maybe I should give a little bit of running a try. So I started and had got up to the end of week 8 just before I went for my next op.

I was so disappointed that I wouldn't get to graduate, but now I really want to get myself back to fitness.

I managed a gentle session in the gym - with nothing requiring upper body. (And not allowed to swim for at least another week)

Thanks for the encouragement.

• You've been through a lot and are clearly a tough lady. Keep posting and good luck with the rest of the programme.

• I think you are amazing! You have great mental attitude to get out there regardless of what has been thrown at you. I would imagine a heavy duty sports bra is the way to go. Have you had one re-fitted now you have undergone reconstruction surgery? I would also check with you surgeon regarding the pain from running and just check he is happy you are OK to run. I assume it will improve over time and there will be no reason not to graduate. 5k in 34 min is a fabulous time so be proud!

• Thanks for your positive comments. It took me a while to get my brain in a good place, especially as a year before the cancer I had sudden damage to my inner ear leaving me profoundly deaf in one ear with chronic vertigo. So Cancer came as a second blow.

Lovely lady at M&S fitted me out with a heavy duty sports bra. I will double check with Macmillan nurse to see if surgeon is ok with me running, and hopefully, as you say, it will improve with time.

You may also like...