Anxiety and Depression Support
21,720 members19,561 posts

I need someone to help me

Hi everyone, I need anyone's support right now. My anxiety and depression are worse than ever. I can barely get through one day without contemplating suicide and taking my life, and I have even tried killing myself twice in the last two months.

I feel like I have no one who understands what I am going through. My parents and family don't believe in mental illness at all (it's a cultural thing), and they make fun and ridicule me for my problems. They recognize I am not normal in terms of my behavior, but they don't support me getting help. Being a student in college, I don't have the financial stability to seek help myself.

I barely have any friends or anyone to talk to. I feel completely isolated and cut off from everyone. I just want someone to listen to me and understand what I am going through. Most days I barely have the ability to even get myself out of bed or to do anything, and I have no energy. At times, I feel like I am the only one who is going through having anxiety and depression.

Can someone give me some tips on what to do? I just need someone to talk to. Thank you.

-S

16 Replies
oldestnewest

I understand fully what u are going through i suffer from depression and anxiety too but u are too important to take your life the fact that u can see whats wrong in your life proves it. Keep your head up u are too smart Im not sure if you are religious or not but God loves you. So much so he sent his son to die for our transgressions.I dont know about you but that sounds to me like a life worth saving

I dont believe in God personally, but thank you for your kind words.

I can relate with you 100% life is a struggle at times and dealing with anxiety and depression on top of it can make it so much worse. I'm going through the same issues for the most part as you but there is some comfort in knowing I'm not the only one feeling like this.

1 like

Thank you so much. You are definitely not the only one and I feel comforted knowing I am not either

First off I am so so so sorry. It is tough when your family members do not believe or support you. Being a college student is tough. I worked in a college town for many years and discovered a lot of help for people suffering from mental illnesses. I also am suffering from several diagnosis. Some days are easier than others. Have you googled support groups in your town or talked to your guidance counselor (if that is what they are still called)? I would suggest strongly to set aside a certain amount of time in the next couple of days for you to find some support. It is important to put what little energy you have to find this support. Keep us updated!

4 likes

It's hard to talk to someone i feel

1 like

Thank you so much for the comment. I have not tried to find local support groups but I have visited the counselor at my college. The issue is that they charge so much for treatment and I dont have the money to afford it. And my parents said they refuse to give me any monetary support for mental healthcare.

That is a good start! I would look into the community for support. There should be some that offer a sliding scale or something. Your counselor did not offer any suggestions or ideas? There was a group at the college of the students that started a group of support. Is there such a thing at your college? If not maybe you could start one. You can not be the only one that feels this way. Side note, college is hard and good job that you are continuing with it.

Can you talk to your reg Dr? Explain what's going on with your family and how they won't support you getting help. My PCP was the one who diagbosed me with anxiety and depression and got me put on meds. I finally did end up getting family support when I had a nervous breakdown and couldn't sleep for over a week... now I'm in counseling. Please, don't give up. I'll be praying you are able to find help and support somewhere .

1 like

Thank u guys I feel supported and like family

1 like

Many places have community organizations or associations that offer services at no charge, especially peer support organizations. Peer support workers are people who have had personal experience with the same issues and challenges and are in recovery. They usually receive good, in-depth training on how to provide peer support. Perhaps you could check to see if there are any peer support groups/associations in your area. You are most certainly not alone. I don't know where you live, but anxiety is the number one mental health concern in Canada, and it is often accompanied by depression. Both are very treatable. Please don't lose hope. I know many people who have recovered from both. I currently have anxiety and some depression, but was symptom-free for 16 years and was doing very well. Due to a variety of high stress circumstances, my anxiety disorder was triggered several months ago. I am taking a pro-active approach. Some very simple things that might help are eating a nutritious diet, getting some exercise, getting enough sleep, learning relaxation techniques like calm breathing and visualization, and finding the number to a crisis line so that you can talk to someone when you feel the need. Because I recovered from this before, I believe that I will recover again. Blessings and peace to you.

2 likes

I'm here if you ever wanna message me . I know how you feel. It sucks . There's days I feel like I'm trapped in my own mind and head like nothing gonna get better or change. . But everything is one day at a time things will get better. Try adding some new activities to your life , meet some new people and make some new friends . I know I'm a shy person and when I'm in a big crowd I start to panic but I'm working on it . We will all get better in time . Maybe have your friend or friends go with you to a therapy appointment or therapist it might really help you .

1 like

Message me if you want to talk, I also feel like theirs no one to talk to. I just want to feel normal, I've been in denial for too long. Mental illnesses are real and terrifying.

1 like

You are not alone. There are a lot of us out here feeling the same way. Join as many support groups you can to remind you that you're family is wrong and that you are not alone.

1 like

I am here lets talk.. Mental Health is reality we have to stand together and fight this. There isn't a cure but you can get on meds in which I have been on for 10 years it helps Paxil is what I take. I have anxiety (I thought that was all) but I have bipolar and ocd also and at times it seems you don't have control over your life this is normal. I have always had a hard time keeping jobs making friends, doing anything creative because of the fear of failure. Its haunted my life -with me I try to hide it and I have but its lonely and sad. U can talk with me anytime

1 like

Hi, your post really hit home for me as in my past I have made very real suicide attempts. In my recent past I have had many thoughts of suicide but no attempts, thank God...I also realky know the agony of being so depressed that i cannot get out of bed or function...my family also doesnt understand my mental/emotional illness and are not very compassionate at all. I keep hoping this will change because I love my family and if they were suffering I feel I would want somehow to do something to help them and it hurts...i have had periods where i am in bed for days, barely able to get up get something to eat or take care of myself. I have adhd and recurring depression...but i am also guilty of not taking my meds as prescribed...which in my case is a big factor in being debilated by my illness. I am a total isolationist in the past few years which has made things worse...The last thing I wanted was to go into the psych ward after an awful year plus episode of decompensating in every area of my life because of being sick...but i ended up in the hospital 4x and it has been a couple of months and I am really glad ( and cant believe I am even saying this) that I did end up in the hospital and back on the appropriate dose...still working on this issue with my doctor and keeping a medication journal so when i see him every 2 weeks right now i am able to refer to this with him. That you have made suicide attempts and are thinking about suicide is nothing to ignore. My family has ignored my cries for help over the years and I think that will not change...I am not obviously a doctor or mental health professional but i am today recovering from the pain and effects of living with mental/emotional illness and if I felt suicidal I would take myself to a Hospital immediately to get professional help. I hope that this is something you do even though i am sure it may feel like an impossible task...if you have to call an ambulance or the local police to bring you to the nearest emergency room. I hope you feel better and get the professional help that we all at times need. Take care.

You may also like...