I did it 5K!! ( sorry not sorry if you had my gremlins)

After all your fantastic advice last night and this morning I have just done my first 5k in 38:03 mins. I decided that night that I would go further as many of you suggested. I made sure I was completely ready and was actually quite excited. The gremlins did tells me I was going to get a stitch and would have to stop even before I started but I banished them elsewhere ( sorry if you ended up with them). The first 3 k were actually ok which is good to know that is now comfortable for me, 4 and 5 k were hard as they were over my usual 30 min run time but as I got to 4:5k I was not going to stop I fairly dragged myself the last bit but am now so so pleased to have done it. I know it's silly but I really thought something awful would happen if I went over the 30 mins and I would never want to run again but no I m still here with a big grin on my beetroot red face.

17 Replies

• Well done you !!

• Thank you!

• That's brilliant! :-)

• Thank you

• Doesn't it feel good when you do that first 5k - I am still smiling two weeks later (although I haven't managed it since)😁😁

• I am not expecting to do it again for a while but it would be nice if........

• Thank you I still feel a bit red which is odd all these hrs later!

• Well done that first 5k is magic!

• It sure is. It's the first time in about 15 yrs I ve run a while 5k I still feel a bit red is that normal!!

• Well done :)

Reaching your first 5k is awesome and that is a great time too :)

It's amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it :) It really is a mental as well as physical 'game'.

I tend to find that I can run what I set out to do. It's not fast, pretty or easy AT ALL(!) but if I'm mentally prepared for a longer or shorter run then I find my legs follow! I've also tested this out and tried to make a planned short run longer but it was VERY hard!

I had started to write a reply on your 'faster or longer' post. All I can offer in my limited experience is that 'faster' does come but it depends on your focus and goals and usually after you've targeted 'longer'. Run a good 7k and you're likely to have gained a great 5k time in that run too.

I'm reasonably competitive with myself and I like to see progress but after running my first event in my slowest time it changed my perspective. I LOVED the event, I ran the best I could on the day and it was covering the distance that I was proud of. The time irked me a bit but it was secondary. It was far more satisfying to have got out there and 'done it'.

Good luck, this is just the start :) Reckon you'll get your 2nd one under your belt sooner rather than later, you've a benchmark time now :)

Happy running 🏃🏃🏃

• Well done you. I think we all get a. It hung up about the time and use it as a benchmark but really we should use how any one run made is feel. I still feel pretty red now or is it a hot flush!!

• Yeay! 5K🙂 Hooray for you 😃

• Thank you old floss. I did enjoy it( I think!) still feel a bit red now after all these hrs which is a bit odd but also very menopausal!

• I remember it well...:) but then. I think beetroot red is a great colour! x

• congratulations and a very big well done !!

• Well done!

• Thank you

You may also like...