5K Run

Hi All :)

My second 5k road/trail run since competing in the Middlesbrough 10k last Sunday. Today I went out with the intention of letting my body dictate my pace just to see how it would play out. As it happens, it worked pretty well although I was quite knackered the last half k or so! Having said that, my last k was the second fastest of the run and only 1 second off being the quickest. Quite an interesting outcome ;) Another plus was that my VO2 Max has increased from 41 to 42.

Running along the trail section I once again avoided the hill I have been using for my hill training as I didn't want to put too much strain on my knee too soon. I must say though that there were no issues on today's run so that's a good sign. I visited the sports therapist again yesterday for another massage and she was impressed at the speed of my recovery ;) No need for another visit unless I feel the need to.

Once home after today's run, I started what's going to be my new post run regime of foam rolling (rolling pin until my foam roller arrives), stretching then a 20 minute cold bath/soak (in that order as advised by the sports therapist) :) I must say I'm loving the cold bath :)

Happy running people and stay injury free :)

11 Replies

• Well done Paul nice to have a no pressure run and just enjoy it. VO2 Max is looking good mine dropped this week but is back up to 40.

Enjoy your evening

• Thanks :) Yep, it is nice to just run without any pressure. In the past, my VO2 Max has gone up a point but dropped back down a point the following week. Hopefully it'll stay this time ;)

• Great to hear you're on the mend, Paul. :-) That's a grand ol' run you did, with lots of plusses; well done!

The cold bath is an integral part of my post-run routine; I feel lost without it! Glad to hear you're taking well to it; it's a very acquired taste but great when you get used to it.

Happy running when your foam roller arrives!

• Thanks, MY ;) Relieved there was no pain. I'm really enjoying the cold baths. My whole lower body feels so invigorated afterwards but I'm not brave enough to submerge fully into it ;)

• Lol, thanks Kat :)

Go on, give it a go. You'll love it ;)

• I think I'll start a 'cold bath challenge' on here and KK would be my first nomination ;)

• Haha ;)

• Glad you're feeling better Paul!

When I hurt my ankle I did the cold bath thing but only up to my knee. Any more and I would possibly have expired with shock!

• Thanks, Miss W :) I know what you mean. It certainly takes my breath away ;)

• well done you, and a cold bath works wonders, as does the baton of pain...its grim but it works :)

• Thanks, JJ :) Baton of pain, haha. Great description :)

You may also like...