Plymouth 10k - NEW PB

Hi folks - just thought I would update you on my new running quest. I have built up to 10k- but pretty slow and to be honest i am not that confident. But I has entered the plymouth 10k - I checked out last years running times and realised I would not be last - hurrah.

My overall aim is 10k in an hour. Two weeks ago I did an event and managed 1 hr 19.5 mins. Last weekend I achieved 1 hr 16 mins. So for my run today I wanted to be across the finish line by 1hr 15mins.

The run started at 8 30 - so I had to be up at 6 30, as i had an hours drive to do. I was all sorted, kit laid out, pinned race number, garmin charged, compeed for my v sore blistered toe. Out the door into a very blustery day. Arrived in Plymouth- raining - but i am a toughie and 'I don't care'. As it happens for the hours window of run - the sun came out. Big full event with 2000 runners and pace makers for different times - i settled in behind the 1 hr 15 mins placard. By the time i got to 3.5 k - the front runners were on there way back at 22 mins - v impressive.

I kept to my pace - but there was some quite long slow build inclines which undid me a bit and had to have a couple of short walking breaks. However, with 2 k to go I realised it would be tight - but i could just do 1 hr 15 mins - so with a mighty sprint for the last half k - I squeezed in at 1 hr 15 mins - just behind an 80 year old chap!!

So I am feeling pretty chuffed - almost annoyed now- that I could have gone faster- given that the sprint was pretty fast and i was grinning all over my face when I finished.

Now to celebrate - -Mr Suzy B cooked fab big breakfast - but to be honest made me feel sick - too much to soon and have fizz in the fridge - luverly:-)

23 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • That sounds great Suzybenj, I've just hit 10k and am looking for a 10k in Devon... I've found the Stoke Stampede, in Somerset just after Xmas... I've only done the park runs so far! Good luck with your running :0)

• sry CC - I have replied but added it as post belwo yours- tsk - me and technology

• Thanks for the support Cloud chaser

Have a look at the Tamar Trotters site - they have an event list for devon.

good luck with your 10k's :-)

• Fantastic... Well done you, I hope you enjoy the bubbles ;)

X

• thank you - just tucking in now :-)

• Way to go Suzi! Amazing story. I am in awe of any C25K'er that can run 10K or more, as that sort of distance to me is waaaaaaaay beyond anything I could do! Well done. I might even pickle my walnuts in honour.

• Thanks DZ - very appreciative. May pass on walnuts though :-)

• Well done fantastic achievement. Great time. Enjoy your well deserved bubbles.

• Ha ha yes thank you - looking fwd to checking in tomorrow

• Way to go Suzybenj - you have been doing great with all these runs the last few weeks and seeing the benefits. Like DZ in awe of your achievement

• Thank you - that is really kind and encouraging :-)

• Fantastic run. Well done.

• thank you for your support

• Well done, you set a goal and achieved it! Enjoy the moment.

• Thank you- I enjoy setting goals it is something to aim for- but had I gone a min over would I have felt a failure??? Probably - -which is slightly ridiculous as at the beginning of sept I was just on 4 miles. Tsk - what we set set ourselves up for as we keep raising the bar :-)

• Massive Congratulations. I lived in Plymouth for many years, there are some formidable hills scatter around the city, I've even run up a few during my time in the Navy.

Once again congratulations.

• hello OB - I will nip over to weight loss in a moment. Many thanks for your support. :-)

• You are right to be proud of that result. To cut 4.5 mins off your time in two weeks is great. That bubbly was so well deserved.

Well done.

• Thank you - but I want to do better and already planning this weekends run!!

• Congrats, Suzybenj! That's brilliant and very inspiring for me as well.

• thank you for your support - much appreciated - it is all very encouraging :-)

• 1:15 is a very respectable time! I'm impressed.

I knew the Plymouth 10k was on, got scared and went to Exeter insted! Maybe next year I will puff-and-pant along somewhere behind you. If you see a red-faced 50 something crawling along as they try to finish in the sub 2 hour category, that may well be me.

• Thank you that is very kind. it was a great event - i really enjoyed it - partially from knowing i would not be the slowest having looked up last years results. So onward to this weekend and at least minute off my time. And I look fwd to seeing you at a Devon event :-)

You may also like...