Anxiety Support
33,964 members38,116 posts

Has anyone taken Buspirone/Buspar?

Hello everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with GAD and my doctor prescribed me buspirone 7.5mg 2x a day, I've taken it for about 3 weeks but I haven't noticed any changes in my anxiety

What i have noticed is more frequent headaches and chest tightness, nausea 😞

Not sure if its anxiety thats giving me these symptoms or the medication

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi moni85, Buspirone (Buspar) is a different type of antianxiety drug. Supposedly not as addicting and a little milder acting. I would talk with your doctor about the side effects you are experiencing. It takes a lot of trial and error in regards to finding the right med as well as the right dose. Don't suffer in silence, let your doctor or therapist know. I wish you well. Stay positive

1 like

Thank you for your reply 😊

1 like

I've only been on it for 3 days and I've had headaches too. Plus a numb, tingly leg. I have an appt with my doc today to discuss this med with her. I've been told you can't have alcohol while on it. I'm not a big drinker but next week I will be in Mexico at an all-inclusive resort and plan on indulging.

1 like

I stopped taking it after a month since it was causing chest tightness and frequent headaches.. i also have ringing in the ear all side effects from the medication

Still trying to find a way to cope with my anxiety 😔

I'm seriously considering going to a therapist instead of my GP for my anxiety issues. Sometimes when I ask my GP a question about a medication she has put me on, she has to pull up her system & look it up to answer my questions.

While I certainly don't expect her to know every medication out there, I do expect her to know the ones she prescribes for me so it makes me nervous that she doesn't know the basic things; like can you drink alcohol on Buspar.

You may also like...