Split second dizziness

Hi all,

I suffer from anxiety. It has gotten much better as I force myself to do things that I dread and rather not do.

What I am wondering is if anyone gets this next symptom of anxiety (if that's what it even is).

I was looking down at my phone while sitting and I got this split second pulse/jerk/dizzy sensation in my head. Feels like a push on my head. I feel like a visually black out for a split second (I don't actually black out). Iv had this in the past but this time it was very bad as I threw my arms out as if I was falling (but i wasn't). I have had this before same circumstance with looking down at phone while sitting or laying down.

I am wondering if this is a symptom of anxiety or maybe vertigo? It's very scary and so many thoughts are racing through my mind

All of this literally happens in a second. needless to say my anxiety is through the roof now thinking its brain tumor (standard anxiety fear LOL)

7 Replies

• TMM182, I've never heard anyone else explain this feeling so accurately. Yes, I have gotten this many times over the years. It is one of the most frightening and helpless feelings I've ever experienced. Sitting at the computer or table and feeling this split second rush go through your head like a black out. Arms extended to try and catch yourself. I have never gotten an answer that satisfied me which doctors said could be a sudden drop in blood pressure. I don't really buy it. I do know that my blood pressure zooms up pretty high after the fact (which is normal with fear). It shakes me up so much that you can't do anything in that split second to avoid it. Leaving you worn and scared after is when I use meditation and deep breathing to try and restore my confidence that I will be okay. My thoughts on this is that it is coming both from the back of the head and ear muscles being extremely tight from anxiety. All of a sudden there must be a release of the spasm causing this rush of blood in the head for a second. I've had my share of MRIs and CT scan, results anxiety. Hope this helps.

• This sounds like a blood pressure problem to me having suffered from fluctuations in blood pressure myself for quite some time now. I would visit your GP or walk in centre (if you can find one, that is !) to have your blood pressure checked. Since it is a problem for me and since I need blood pressure readings to present to the consultant at the end of each month because I am diabetic, I invested in a blood pressure monitor from Llyods chemists. It cost £25 which is not a fortune to give peace of mind. It is exactly the same model both my GP and consultant use and they both applauded my investment for that is what it is.

• You described that so well! I always say it feels like someone tips the room really fast. And it always happens to me when I'm sitting doing something. I've never had this happen when I'm standing. So I'm wondering if it's an inner ear thing? It does make me instantly panic though. I hate it.

• thats what my mom believes it may be too....only happens when I am laying down, or sitting down looking down or at a computer screen.

• Yes this happens to me too!!! 😁

• Yes! Me too.

• I get it often too. Sounds like I'm not alone.

You may also like...