High thyroid antibodies - is there a way forward for me?

Hello,

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 16 years ago. I am now 39 and my symptoms are getting worse and worse. I started off on 50mcg of thyroxine, this was increased to 75mcg and then 100mcg but recently it has been lowered back to 75mcg. I am constantly tired but I also have lots of other symptoms, high cholesterol, extremely heavy periods, insomnia, extreme sensitivity to the sun leaving me with a terrible rash, extreme cold, brittle nails, constant stress, brain fog, anaemia, difficulty in losing weight, dry skin etc.

I recently managed to have a blood test through Genova and my results are Total T4 144, TSH 2.01, Free FT4 17.0, Free T3 (FT3) 4.2, FT4:FT3 ratio 4.0. However, my antibodies are high. So TG is 221 and TPO is 155.

I started taking magnesium, zinc and sometimes iron. However, I don't tolerate these very well. Whenever I have a blood test at the GP my B12 is raised well above range but I never used to take any Vitamin B supplements.

I'd appreciate advice on next steps and if anybody else has a similar experience to share.

Thanks

14 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Do you have any more results, ie ferritin?

• In March 2016, serum Ferritin was 19ug/L. It's very low but I struggle to take iron because it often doesn't agree with me. I've also queried this with my GP but she says its a measure of iron stores and not iron in the blood?

• Serendipitious - you can buy gentle iron supplements, for example I use Blue Bonnet. Yes ferritin is stored iron.

I would say that you're undermedicated and don't understand why your Thyroxine was reduced. Your FT3 is too low.

What was your B12 result?

• Sorry didnt see this. My B12 was 845 ng/L in March and then in June it was 940 ng/L. Range is 180-914. This was prior to taking any Vitamin supplement.

• Solgar also do a 'gentle' iron supplement, I have managed to get my levels up by using it x

• B12 was 940 ng/L in March. It's normally above range or at the top end.

• That's ok, don't worry about it. :) Did they test your folate? You need to know what that is, too. And your vit D.

If magnesium doesn't agree with you, try taking Epsom salts baths. You can absorb it through the skin.

• Serendipitous,

Most people will feel well with TSH 1.0 or lower, FT4 in the upper range and FT3 higher in range. Read Treatment Options in thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_... Email louise.roberts@thyroiduk.org.uk for a copy of the Pulse article if you would like to show it to your GP.

Thyroid peroxidase antibodies are positive for autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's) which causes 90% of hypothyroidism. 100% gluten-free diet may improve symptoms and reduce antibodies.

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

Ferritin 19 is very low. It would be a good idea if your GP tested iron to rule out anaemia which is often caused by heavy periods and also causes heavy periods.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• On ferritin: mdedge.com/clinicalendocrin...

Could correcting ones ferritin sometimes replace adding T3?

(BTW: Ferritin supplements must be carefully chosen.)

• Thanks thats an interesting article.

• Have you had vitamin D checked?

Are you gluten free?

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

I had raised B12 (with undiagnosed gluten intolerance & low Vit D) - I had also had never supplemented. I found that weird......as so many with Hashimoto's have low B12.

Once I started vitamin D supplements this revealed low B5. (See link below) Started Vitamin B complex and then low B12 "appeared", the high B12 rapidly dropping.

Making great improvement on B complex and B12 (as well as selenium, magnesium, vitamin D, vit C with zinc and lastly K2) and strictly gluten free

All the B's have to work together apparently

drgominak.com/vitamin-d-hor...

Usually within the first year of vitamin D supplementation the B5 body stores get used up and new symptoms of pain, burning and balance difficulties begin. Patients who have fibromyalgia or arthritis or autoimmune disease are already severely B5 deficient even before their vitamin D deficiency is detected.

• I don't quite remember Vitamin D levels. I think they were within range but on the lower side. I take 1000iu a day. How much are you taking? I started a gluten free diet in August 2016 but I've cheated here and there. For example, I bought some Floradix and didn't realise it contained gluten. I will be stricter from now on.

• I have been taking 6000iu - but I have severe gluten intolerance. Solgar soft gels initially, but found made little difference.

On recommendation of endoscopy nurse I found "Better You" oral vitamin D mouth spray gave improved uptake. (Not needing gut for absorption) I have been on 4000iu mouth spray and 2000iu soft gels for last 3-4 months.

After 6 months overall on this high dose I have managed to push level up from 33 to 99. Now cutting down to 4000iu (mouth spray only) & then I shall retest to see if staying level or if falling again.

I am ruthlessly gluten free (couldn't walk....so quite an incentive) now managing about 20-30mins walking.

Recent significant further improvement since adding Vit B complex and B12.

• Has anybody here seen Prof Gerard Conway? Please let me know if he is helpful and won't dismiss my symptoms as unhelpable. Thanks.

You may also like...