Struggling need advise on Blood test results

Hi, so I have been taking nature thyroid for 6 months and have gradually increased to 4 grains. All was going well until I was glutened in November. I have since had a big set back in lot s of ways ( although not as bad s when I was on levothyroxone).

Todays blood test results are

TSH <0.05. 0.3 -5.0

FT3 7.5 2.5-5.5

FT4 17. 10-18.7

I had these done in Oct

B12 483. 170-730

D. 57. No ref range given

Folate. 17.6. 3 - 19

Ferritin 208. 10-290

T4. 17.2. 10-18.7

Serum iron 12. 8-32

Saturation iron binding capacity 56

Unsat iron b.c 44. 28.7-53.7

Transferrin saturation index 21%. 15-50%

Any thoughts greatly appreciated as really don't know what to do.

Thanks

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Epicmom, FT3 is over range so I would reduce by half a grain and retest in 6/8 weeks. FT4 is good and TSH low in range as expected because of the T3 in NatureThroid.

Most here prefer B12 >500 and higher in range. You could supplement 500mcg methylcobalamin sublingual lozenges, spray or patches plus a B Complex vitamin. Folate is good.

If the vitD is a UK result your level is adequate but not optimal which is 75-200. Most of us need to supplement 2,000iu Oct-April just to maintain levels until ultraviolet light is strong enough to stimulate vitD. I suggest 5,000iu daily for 6/8 weeks to build levels and then cut back to 5,000iu alternate days.

Ferritin is a little high in range which can indicate inflammation somewhere in the body or infection from a cold or virus when you were tested.

• Thanks, I will get some b12 and some vitamin d. Not sure either about the ferritin thing. If you're t3 is over, does it do you harm? Thanks

• Epicmom, it may increase the risk of osteoporosis and atrial fibrillation. I reduced my T3 in Sept when FT3 was 8.4 (3.2-6.2) as my endo put it to me that in addition to the above "we don't really know what the long term risks are". What clinched it was my hair shedding again. 3 months later on the reduced dose hair has stopped shedding and I've not had any increase in hypo symptoms.

• Great thanks, my hair has been coming out in clumps for some time now. Will give all ur advise a go. Thank you.

• What are your symptoms Epicmom?

• Currently I suffer from fatigue, exhaustion, dry skin, brain fog, hair loss, constipation, stress over nothing, nausea etc. Tons of symptoms, but nowhere near as bad as I was in august when I switched from levo, in fact, from the time I was cut back to 100 levo last April. That was horrendous, couldn't function at all, as if my body was shutting down by the day!!!

My may be playing a part in this again too.

• And how could I forget to write, aching tight muscles, neck and shoulder and tight feeling on neck at front which had gone away. Gluten had killed me off!!!

• Thanks for the info and yes I certainly don't feel at all hyper. Its strange because my symptoms were easing off until my gluten thing. Although saying that, for the last 2 years I've had what feels like huge setbacks at this time of year. Its such a minefield. Thanks.

You may also like...