Fibromyalgia Action UK
38,758 members51,014 posts

My sea stopped for no reason

My father is a 58 year old disabled man worked all his life started to get sea from May 2014 because he spilt up with his ex wife my mum they stated to give him 11.00 pounds a week than in December it went up to 63.24 a week and I got a letter today saying they can't pay me esa I have wrote to them asking why and appealing this is very unfair I have not been given a proper reason I was on the support group is this allowed I also rang sea today they said further checks needed to be made my dad owns a house with my mum his ex wife but both my dad and mum are on a Iva so no one can get money out of the house I told esa of the change of my circumstances that I have got another property with my eldest son told them I was on a Iva but they have still stopped my benefit can anyone help what should I do now I am disabled got diabetics heart trouble anxiety and deppresion get bad pain in my feet and spasms in my legs and pain I have paid 37 years worth on nat insurance and this is how I am been treated my son has wrote this for me as I am no good with computers please help any advice from anyone

6 Replies

Hi Mohindra58

I am so sorry to read that you are experiencing this problem with your ESA, and I genuinely hope that you can find some resolution and relief to this issue. I was wondering if your ESA could have been stopped because of your ownership of another property with your son? If you do not live in this property it will be classed as collateral by the DWP and if you have (savings) collateral of more than £16,000 you are not eligible to receive income-based ESA. Owning a share of a property that you do not call your home could be viewed as savings?

Excerpt from GOV.UK - ESA Eligibility

Your income and savings

Your income may affect your income-related or contribution-based ESA. Income can include:

you and your partner’s income

savings over £6,000

pension income

You won’t qualify for income-related ESA if you have savings over £16,000.

I would enquire if this is the reason that your benefit has been stopped? I want to wish you all the best of luck and I sincerely hope that you find the answers that you so desperately desire and deserve.

All my hopes and dreams for you



Hi Mahindra58

I hope you are well.

Unfortunately, It will be difficult for anyone on this forum to assist you with this matter without having all the correspondence and paperwork in front of them.

May I suggest that you book an appointment with a Benefits Advisor at the CAB as soon as possible. Please go with all your paperwork including any letters about your parents' problems, the Iva's on the properties and any other financial or banking information you can pull together.

I hope you are able to sort this matter out as soon as possible. Don't forget to contact the local council to make sure you continue to have your rent and council tax paid

Wishing you a speedy resolution to this problem. Try to stay calm and do whatever you can to sort it out.



As an ex benefit advisor I concur with Reykua you need to go to an advice centre or law centre with all the paperwork and obtain advice on your options in dealing with your ESA case

Best wishes

1 like

I do not understand why they have not given a reason as to why?

Do you live with your father?

Are you on Income related ESA?

Hope you get it sorted

1 like

Hi Mohindra

I can undeerstand that this must all be very worrying for you and your father. Yes I think that Ken has hit the nail on the head if you are on Income based ESA as the property you own with your son if say you were getting rent from it would be classed as income and also could be classed as an additional asset. I am also an ex advisor and like the others I feel that your case is too complex without us being able to see all the paperwork for us to help you with this. Their advice is excellent to book an appointment with the Citizens Advice Bureau. If there isn't one in your area as you father is over 50 if there is an Age UK branch that has an Information and Advice service he may be able to get advice from them, this service of course varies from area to area. You may also find that certain councils have Benefit Advisors but again this varies from area to area. Turn2us has a tool in their site where you can search for advisors in your area.

Good luck with everything, please let us know how you get on.

1 like

Hi, sorry to hear about your problems, its the last thing you need when your home health is bad. As well as the excellent advice you have already been given, remember it an election year, find out who is your local mp for the party in control of your area. They can move heaven and earth to get speedy results. Eight years ago we were being evicted and my husband was very ill. No one seemed to care but the moment my mp started asking questions for me suddenly everyone became polite and helpful and we were given a adapted bungalow. Also, if your dad or you, were ever in the armed forces, you can get help from saffa and the British liegen. I hope you get the help you need quickly, good luck.

1 like

You may also like...