Diabetes is a disorder that can bring on other ailments. It can affect the entire system as well as every other organ in the body including the heart, eyes, kidney and more. It is necessary for diabetic people to know how they can control their ailment. It has been seen that, if one pays close attention to the diet that one follows, it can make a big difference in controlling the ailment and other complications that can arise from it. The main factor which leads to the onset of type 2 diabetes is mainly a poor diet being followed and a sedentary lifestyle.
Top 15 Super Foods To Help Curb Diabetes
Beans contain many vital minerals and dietary fibers that make them ideal for those suffering from diabetes. As diabetic people need to feel full for longer periods of time, such fiber rich food is good for such people.
Different kinds of beans to choose from:
• Beans are a good source of dietary fiber
• They are rich in magnesium, potassium and protein
Beans can be eaten in different ways. They can be had in the cooked form as well as in salads or in the boiled form in soups.
2. Green And Leafy Vegetables
It is known that green and leafy vegetables contain many useful nutrients that make them ideal for the diet of a diabetic person.
• Such vegetables are low in calories and easy carbohydrates
• There is insoluble fiber as well as calcium, magnesium and vitamin C
• Such vegetable lower the risk of type 2 diabetes
It is recommended that one consumes two or three servings per day of such vegetables. The kinds of vegetables that fall in this category are as follows:
• Mustard greens
• Collard greens
Berries have a lot of beneficial nutrients as well as natural sugars that do not have a negative impact on the blood sugar levels.
• Berries are packed with vitamins, fiber and antioxidants
• These help to control the blood sugar levels
• One is also fortified against heart diseases
Berries used in the preparation of sweet items like desserts will reduce the calorie and the sweet factor of the deserts and make them healthy. They can be eaten with cereals, as snacks or in salads as well.
Berries are of the following kinds:
[Also Read: Top 10 Home Remedies to Treat Diabetes]
Fish of different kinds can be consumed for the numerous benefits that they provide.
• They contain essential omega-3 fatty acids
• They are good sources of lean protein
One can consider taking fish oil supplements if eating fish is not an option. Cold water fishes of the following variety are good for diabetic people:
It is best that the fishes are prepared in a grilled or baked manner and consumed with healthy carbs like brown pasta or rice, brown bread or with salads. It is best to avoid having deep fried fishes.
5. Whole Grains
No matter what food you eat, you need to have carbs in the form of bread, rice or pasta. It is best that one opts for the whole grain form of these carbohydrate items.
• Whole grain foods contain complex carbohydrates which do not increase the blood sugar levels suddenly
• They contain nutrients like folate, magnesium, chromium and omega-3 fatty acids
• They help to reduce blood sugar levels
• Reduce blood pressure
• Reduce bad cholesterol levels
One should switch to brown rice or whole wheat flour to have more of whole grain foods in their meals.