Couch to 5K
63,954 members97,009 posts

45 never run before and on week3

Hi everyone. I started ct5k 3 weeks ago. I get shin splints during every run although they are getting less painful now. Week 1 was great and week 2 started off ok then run 3 I found really hard. I decided to 're run week 2 again and tonight was run 3 of week2 and it was awful, I've never been so out of breathe. I'm feeling really down hearted about it as I thought I would find it easier the more I'm doing running but it's not the case. Has anyone else been through this?

7 Replies
oldestnewest

Nooooooooo...don’t feel downhearted...this programme isn’t easy...some weeks are harder than others..maybe you didn’t need to do the re-run? Have more faith in yourself! If you completed a run just move onto the next one...of you don’t complete it, bag the stamina & kms & repeat it...it’s all practice & that’s what makes perfect right??? Just continue the programme, stay on here for advice & encouragement, we’re all behind you & have been where you are...you’ve come so far & that is something to be proud of

2 likes

Slow down.

Read the guide to the plan healthunlocked.com/couchto5... which explains how you should approach the process.

Don't despair, just slow down.

3 likes

Listen to IannodaTruffe, he knows what he’s talking about. Just take it slow and steady, and make sure you are well hydrated too. I always make sure I’ve had plenty to drink in the evening before running the next morning ie water not alcohol. 😅

1 like

Don’t rush . I’ve been there and it passes , stay on week 2 till you are happy , it’s a marathon not a sprint 👍

Good luck

1 like

I’m also finding shin splints a bit of a problem, my husband (an experienced runner) suggested that I try compression socks. It hasn’t cited completed but has definitely improved the situation.

1 like

Sorry should say cured completely (got auto corrected)

I’m with Tobyjugs as I wear compression socks and they really help with any lower leg aches and pains.

If I run in the morning I keep them on till the evening and if I do a night run then I sleep in them as I’d read that they help with recovery too!

Hope this helps!

1 like

You may also like...