Hi, I'm new!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a question I hope you can help with please.

I started the C25K in January and got to week 4 before I ended up in hospital for surgery. It's been 4 weeks now and my stitches have finally come out. I want to start running again but I'm not sure if I should just start from scratch at week 1 or if I jump in to week 5 which is where I would have been if I hadn't gone to hospital!

What would your suggestions be please?

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies

• Hi newbie!

Well personally as you are talking surgery and stitches I would start from W1 more as a precaution. If you do want to start a bit further I would consider W3. As you have been Out of action for a few weeks you should step back as you will have lost some of the fitness you have built.

Good luck whatever you decide

S X

• I would agree with mustgetthin. Also make sure your doc is happy for you to start running, depending how major your op was. If you find doing week 1 is too easy then do week 2 on your next run

• Yeh agree with the above, and whatever you decide to do, take it easy x

• Hi!

Thanks so much for your replies.

I think I'll start at week 1 & see how I go. I was really getting into my running & I'd hate to stop after all the effort I made!

I don't think I have the energy to go OTT for now but will definitely take things easy & stop if I need to.

Thanks again!

• Agree that week 1 is the place to start again but check with your doctor first - it's not worth the risk of starting too soon. Good luck and best wishes.

• I got to week 8 and had to stop for 12 weeks with Achilles problems. When I restarted I did one run of week 2, followed by one run of week 3 and then one run of week 4 (I took each run slowly and I didn't have any pain). After this I went on to week 5 and followed the programme in full, although I did take some extra recovery days when the runs became longer and a picked up a few niggles.

I'd often read some comments on this forum about listening to your body which at the time I didn't really understand but when I felt a bit tired or, in my case, I had a painful left hip, I stopped for a few days until it felt better before venturing out again.

After surgery, I'd recommend that you should take things slowly and gradually feel your way back into the programme.

• Depending on your surgery, how major it was and what part of the body, you might find it still hurts too much to run! If it does, walking will help a lot in your recovery.

I had a median sternotomy in 2008, for a retrosternal goitre, not heart surgery. It hurt for a couple of months after just to be driven round in a car or go on a bus. However, I did find that walking was bearable (I wasn't a runner at that time at all so didn't try running at all). I walked and walked and walked, starting from corridors and stairs as soon as I was allowed out of bed while still in hospital. Six weeks post surgery, I was thrilled to manage a 9.5 mile walk, which included going halfway up a mountain road. The doctors were quite amazed at my rapid recovery and walking was definitely the key to that.

You may also like...