swelling and pain under knee after week 5 20mins , trainers not correct (oops) , rested for 3 weeks , swelled up again , depressed

brought running trainers from ebay (i know !!!!)..... used ice and knee brace , cleared up in 10 days , started some light stretches to strengthen ,stair lifts, clam shells and leg raises , i was going to get my gait done and invest in shoes suitable for my running style before starting c25k again next week , the pain came on this afternoon and its swollen again left leg under right hand side of kneecap , will i ever get to run again ? trying to do everything correctly , any advice for me as im super keen but this is depressing

Last edited by

7 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • I had a very similar thing. My swelling was at the back of my knee and I wore the leg brace all the time and applied ice 2 or 3 times a day for 20 mins or so. It went away but not completely so I decided to sort of run through it and keep applying the ice afterwards. its gone now and I'm on week 8.

Hope this helps.

• many thanks , i think it was combination of trainers , the first whole run 20mins and maybe me being clever trying to run when i should slow down a bit and jog when its hard going , thanks again that was interesting and usefull mate

• I ha masses of muscular problems until I had gait analysis and got right shoes. No problems since. Expensive but better than being injured. Good luck

• I am sorry this has happened to you but I really hope people read it and take note. Whatever else you do, proper running shoes are not negotiable, they are essential. I would recommend gait analysis, good shoes and leg strengthening exercise. If you can't see a Physio, there should be some on the bet. Good luck!

• I'm sorry but I'm tittering as I envisaged you going up and down the stairs on a Stannah "stairlift". It must have been my mentally registering your avatar, putting two and two together and making 11. I do hope your knees will be better soon. Maybe you just gotta run em off

I'm not a doctor obviously. LOL

• As it lasted ten days and has now come back after resting I would STRONGLY advise you to see your GP. It's not worth taking a chance. Once you are able to run again, I agree that correct shoes (after gait analysis) are essential. Hope you recover soon and best wishes to you.

• THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE AND SUPPORT , JUST NEEDED SOME LIKE MINDED PEOPLE TO GIVE ME A LIFT AND YOU HAVE , ICE ON KNEE NOW THEN ICE IN ME MAGNERS IN A BIT , YAH THINK THIS KNEE THING COULD BE RECURRING SO WHILE I WAIT FOR IT TO CALM DOWN I,LL HAVE TO DO SOME RESEARCH , DOCTORS MAYBE , TRAINERS A MUST THANK YOU ALL

You may also like...