Hmm: I went to the A&E yesterday due to my... - Anxiety Support

Anxiety Support

46,164 members46,612 posts

Hmm

Kaaayla
Kaaayla

I went to the A&E yesterday due to my chest pains... they done a chest X-ray and had a ecg all was normal he said but gave me antibiotics incase might be chest infection .. so the pains in my chest ain’t to do with my heart or anything I guess wonder what it could be!

24 Replies
oldestnewest

A doctor gave you an antibiotic prescription without knowing what it was for? Usually the results have to be there not just in case

I am guessing that the doctor told you to go home to rest so you don't get sicker.

You probably shouldn't be out with friends etc if the doctor thinks you may be ill and gave you an antibiotic. So I would get some rest.

Feel better soon,

Xx

Kaaayla
Kaaayla in reply to Luna_Child

He said it’s “probably” a chest infection but I thought you could see an infection on chest X-ray .. I haven’t even started them because I feel like I don’t need them x

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Kaaayla

I would not start taking any antibiotic without seeing my doctor first. The Antibiotic you take has to do with the type of germ bacterial etc..so in other words, the antibiotic could be a total waste of time taking it because it may be resistant to what kind of infection you have. I just went through it this weekend. My nurse prescribed an antibiotic after seeing preliminary results however after results came in this morning the antibiotic l prescribed Friday is totally ineffective with that the end result would be. I had to immediately switch. I would've done more harm than good so really your doctor should have probably waited.

Luna_Child

They can see an infection because they are trained. You or I would not. Have you been practicing coping we chatted about and and breathing?

Kaaayla

No that’s what I’m saying is he said my chest X-ray was normal so why give me antibiotics and say it’s basically probably a chest infection if that was the case he would of seen it on the X-ray surely?.. I just felt like he was rushing around to be fair and didn’t really care lol

glenninindy
glenninindy in reply to Kaaayla

i would'nt take them because now i would suspect that i may have a muscular/bone type issue instead, like rheumatoid arthritis through-out my body and antibiotic will only make that worse. I knew someone who was only eighteen years old that had pain spread all over from arthritis.

Luna_Child

You should be sticking to 1 doctor and not going into walk in Emergency Room's they don't know you. Talk to your doctor so he can make decisions with you. Are you talking to your Therapist about this? You have to be 100% with your Therapist or they won't be able to help you you're just waisting their time and yours. From what I've seen you suffer from anxiety. It can cause body sensations. You need to learn how to cope with your anxiety and your pains will go away.

Kaaayla

Not being funny if I have chest pains and I’m worried about it I will be walking into the hosptial .. don’t matter if they don’t know me they don’t know anyone that walks into the hosptial?

Luna_Child

I understand you're having chest pains and the more you think about it the worse it'll get. The brain can play tricks when we are anxious.

You had your chest tested just within the last 2 weeks. They said you were not having a heart attack. Heart attacks don't pull numbers and stand in line to wait. You would've had one and your tests came out normal when you had them done.

Kaaayla

No I haven’t had test within the last 2weeks I have spoke to a doctor over the phone that’s all

Yes I understand. That's why you have to stick to your doctor that oversees your care and knows you. You can't go to these Emergency places because they don't know you they rush, and it's not a place to go for chest pains. You're problem overall Is anxiety and you're trying to fix the physical problems of anxiety and you're not going to because anxiety is what you have to focus on with your therapist. Are you seeing your therapist?

Kiera49
Kiera49 in reply to Kaaayla

I'm in hospital at moment with fast heartbeat and low oxygen, had xray and loads of blood test as I have cancer, xray showed infection as did blood tests, cant wait to get home

Hidden
Hidden

Odd that your doctor wrote a script for antibiotics without telling you why.

My only thought is costochondritus is treated with antibiotics. This is usually chest wall or feeling pain in the upper ribs.

I’m speculating, but you could always call your doctor back. They have to write a diagnosis on your sign out chart to charge your insurance company.

Call them and ask.

Dixie9326
Dixie9326 in reply to Hidden

Costochrondritis is an Inflammation and treated with an anti inflammatory .NSAIDS....Ibuprofen, high dose aspirin, etc. I believe an antibiotic was given because he wanted to pacify her and move on to next patient. !!!

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Dixie9326

I’ve had bacterial and it is treated with antibiotics. It can be fungal or bacterial in nature. I stated I was being speculative.

Doctors don’t just prescribe antiobiotics to pacify, Have a nice day.

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Hidden

This post is to Kaaayla!!

You're not giving your coping techniques time to work. Meditating, yoga, walking, crafts whatever you like doing you've got to keep busy. You can't do these techniques and expect them to work overnight. You have to keep doing them and put in the time.

You should be telling your therapist this and doctor. Yes CBT is the route to take with your therapist and since I'm not your therapist you we can support you but we are not doctors.

Enjoy your day

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Luna_Child

Hey girl... I think you meant to reply to some one else.. 💜🌺💜🌺💜

Luna_Child

Ohhh yes I responded to you I meant Kaaayla.

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Luna_Child

Ahhh we got it straight. Funny, my day started like this, Not a prob, I got your back. 🌺💜🌺💜

Luna_Child

Thank you 💙💛

Dixie9326
Dixie9326 in reply to Hidden

I’m an retired Emergency Dept Rn and costochrondritis is an Inflammation..sometimes a patient with a compromised immune system are a risk of developing a chest wall INFECTION.

Labs and a CXR will help diagnose simple costochronditis vs infection ..

And I worked in an ER, YES doctors are sometimes too busy to try and placate an anxious patient so they give them a med to get them on their way... Sad but true!!

Why would they give her an antibiotic when her CXR was negative... ? Sometime they do it just to cover their butts ...just in case!!!

Hidden
Hidden in reply to Dixie9326

I’m not not playing tid for tad. I am comfortable with what I wrote to her. I don’t know why in the world you are nick picking my posts. Please stop. Thank you.

Luna_Child
Luna_Child in reply to Dixie9326

She doesn't have costochchonditis. She's healthy. Please don't feed her another diagnosis and let her doctors do that.

After reading some of the comments on here it's like some of you are fueling her fire of her anxiety. If I was her and reading what was written I would almost shut down. It would make me break down again and cause more heartache and pain. It's almost like you're yelling at her. It's seems she needs to resort herself out again. I know some are trying to mean well but think how it would sound to you.

You may also like...