Anxiety Support
37,911 members40,898 posts

breathing keeps stopping when im falling asleep

i've been up for a bit over 24 hours now because i can't get to sleep. my breathing stops as soon as i start falling asleep and i have to pop up immediately because it feels like i'm dying. i'm really upset about it and it's making me not want to go to bed at all but i know that i'll have to go eventually. i have no inhaler or cpap machine so i don't know what to do and i just want to cry. i hate feeling like this

13 Replies
oldestnewest

hi my mrs is like this as well it could be sleep apnea but its best you get it checked out by your doctor.

i thought it might be that. i dont have a doctor though sadly

go to your nearest practice/surgery and book with a gp ask a friend or friends if they could advise you on good doctors but its best to register with one.

1 like

Buy a mouth guard Zyppah for snoring you wear while your sleeping. You can buy one for 90 dollars. It will hold your jaw forward so it wont slide back causing the obstruction.

1 like

It could be a few reasons. Not just sleep apnea. Post nasal drip can clog airways and cause a choking sensation. Acid reflux can have his effect when your falling asleep. It could be a few things so try not to jump to the worst 1st! Good luck.

2 likes

I just saw on 1 of your other posts you have asthma. Could also be that!!

I had the same issue and it was sleep apnea. Do you have this happen if you sleep on your side. Sleep apnea is simple as you relax you jaw falls back obstructing your airway causing you to stop breathing.

1 like

it happens no matter what position i sleep in, unfortunately. at first i thought it was apnea but i'm not very sure anymore.

Breathing is automatic try to hold your breath it will force u to breathe i get that sometimes when im. Falling asleep but its my nerves happens every night me just relax you will be fine

1 like

Please see a sleep clinic

I had the same problem. My CPAP machine is my salvation!

1 like

My dad and sister both had the same problem. My dad got it fixed with a cpap machine. My sister was good after she got her tonsils and some other things out. They both had a sleep study to figure out what was going on, maybe you should look into one as well.

1 like

Hi bitanoken .. I had months ago what you describe .. it was horrible and frightening and difficult to explain to GP .. in went fir s short while .. but has come back to my anxiety high .. and constant worrying ... it is anxiety related .. and exhaustion that causes it ..

1 like

bless and good luck with dealing with it <3

1 like

You may also like...