breathing keeps stopping when im falling a... - Anxiety Support

Anxiety Support
42,879 members44,424 posts

breathing keeps stopping when im falling asleep

bitanoken
bitanoken
15 Replies

i've been up for a bit over 24 hours now because i can't get to sleep. my breathing stops as soon as i start falling asleep and i have to pop up immediately because it feels like i'm dying. i'm really upset about it and it's making me not want to go to bed at all but i know that i'll have to go eventually. i have no inhaler or cpap machine so i don't know what to do and i just want to cry. i hate feeling like this

15 Replies
oldestnewest
kenster1

hi my mrs is like this as well it could be sleep apnea but its best you get it checked out by your doctor.

bitanoken
bitanoken
in reply to kenster1

i thought it might be that. i dont have a doctor though sadly

kenster1
kenster1
in reply to bitanoken

go to your nearest practice/surgery and book with a gp ask a friend or friends if they could advise you on good doctors but its best to register with one.

1 like
Ironj
Ironj
in reply to bitanoken

Buy a mouth guard Zyppah for snoring you wear while your sleeping. You can buy one for 90 dollars. It will hold your jaw forward so it wont slide back causing the obstruction.

1 like
PrimoB

It could be a few reasons. Not just sleep apnea. Post nasal drip can clog airways and cause a choking sensation. Acid reflux can have his effect when your falling asleep. It could be a few things so try not to jump to the worst 1st! Good luck.

2 likes
PrimoB
PrimoB
in reply to PrimoB

I just saw on 1 of your other posts you have asthma. Could also be that!!

Ironj

I had the same issue and it was sleep apnea. Do you have this happen if you sleep on your side. Sleep apnea is simple as you relax you jaw falls back obstructing your airway causing you to stop breathing.

1 like
bitanoken
bitanoken
in reply to Ironj

it happens no matter what position i sleep in, unfortunately. at first i thought it was apnea but i'm not very sure anymore.

lourocks

Breathing is automatic try to hold your breath it will force u to breathe i get that sometimes when im. Falling asleep but its my nerves happens every night me just relax you will be fine

2 likes
Cibolagirl

Please see a sleep clinic

I had the same problem. My CPAP machine is my salvation!

1 like
happy_kitty

My dad and sister both had the same problem. My dad got it fixed with a cpap machine. My sister was good after she got her tonsils and some other things out. They both had a sleep study to figure out what was going on, maybe you should look into one as well.

1 like
Heidi1066

Hi bitanoken .. I had months ago what you describe .. it was horrible and frightening and difficult to explain to GP .. in went fir s short while .. but has come back to my anxiety high .. and constant worrying ... it is anxiety related .. and exhaustion that causes it ..

1 like
bitanoken
bitanoken
in reply to Heidi1066

bless and good luck with dealing with it <3

1 like
Scaredtosleep

I’m up with that feeling right now.. every time I start falling asleep.::(

StokedMustache

Sounds a lot like anxiety. I get it at random times, almost exclusively when I’ve been overly anxious, as do a lot of others. I pause breathing right as I’m drifting off then jolt awake but am still somewhat alert that I can kinda recall that my breathing paused. Once I’m asleep after multiple jolts, breathing is normal (had my wife check). Tends to happen when I get in a state of being over aware of my breathing and instead of it being an automatic process it becomes a manual one. Once you start drifting off it’s like your brain is trying to take over breathing duties but subconsciously you are still trying to manually control your breathing. I also hold my breath a lot when I’m anxious, so add that to the mix as well. All of which are common things with anxiety. I’ve also heard that if you are mildly hyperventilating that your body, once you fall asleep, will try to regulate the carbon dioxide/oxygen ratio by intermittent cessation’s in breathing. With sleep apnea, whether central or obstructive, it would continue to occur throughout the night.

1 like

You may also like...