Anxiety Support
36,297 members39,647 posts

Buspar.. multiple panic attacks

So idk what had happened the past 3 or 4 days but my panic attacks have gotten so bad! Literally like 3 or more a day. I finally had my doctors appointment yesterday and told him how I was feeling and that I pretty much had a panic attack in the waiting room(in my head.😣)

Anyways the panic attacks always pass, and I know that. And I also know by now that they are indeed panic attacks... I'm not dying.. im not having a stoke... I'm having panic attacks. So the problem is getting to where I don't keep having them

So I told my doctor that I wanted to actually TRY the buspar again, the first time I honestly didn't try it long at all. So he said that would be fine and he also wrote me a prescription for paxil. He said if the buspar didn't seem to help after a few weeks then give the paxil a try. He said it wouldn't take as long to kick in and it's a little stronger.

Last night I took my buspar as I was told, and went to sleep right away. This morning I woke up feeling a little nauseous, but thats okay.. I can deal with that, if it's even from the medication

I think I've finally got to the point where I think.. it's okay to lean on the help of medication. I'e tried to self help over and over for over a year & i just can' get out of the last little rut I'm in. So gonna take my medication & work this out. Here we go

11 Replies
oldestnewest

It took me a long time to accept meds and I’m on very low dose Lexapro. I feel amazing. I’m now able to work on my anxiety where the thought of even trying before was too much. I do not like any meds in my system but I was causing more harm to myself emotionally and physically than good without them. Everyday I challenge myself a little further to desensitize. I am able to enjoy outings now and it’s amazing to stand in the line at the store and have conversations instead of feeling like I may pass out. I no longer hyper focus on my health nor do I have repetitive obsessive thoughts. It’s been a life saver.

1 like

Thanks so much for your positive response. This is what I want to achieve. I am on a very low dosage as well, hoping for the very best

2 likes

Thanks so much. I'm on 5mg as well. They told me to start of with half a pill at night then go up to the whole pill after a week.

I'm praying it works for me as well.

1 like

Hi.... sorry it has taken me this long to respond. Ok if one thing isn't working then yes your Doc should have something else for you to try. I have been taking Prozac (10mg) now for a week after changing from another pill that didn't work for me at all. I have taken Paxil in the past and that also did a fine job for me controlling my anxiety. Now I have a feeling that Ill have to go up to 20mg`s of Prozac to completely bring up my Seritonen (sic) levels to where I will be feeling ok all day.

Best advice I can give is that some pills work for people and some don`t. You may have to try Paxil and give that a go and see.. Now sometimes we have to look outside ourselves for help either in counselling or with a pill that will help balance out our Brain chemistry...Don`t be afraid to look for help Liz....Best wishes and Much Love to you Steve.

1 like

Thanks so much

This is only my 2nd day on the buspar. So far I don't see any difference.

It takes about 3 weeks to notice a change and 6-8 weeks to notice an even bigger difference. I’ve been taking Buspar for about 22 days and I felt the effects within 10 days. I take both doses by 2pm (since I wake up at 5am for work), and I take 50mg Vistaril at night for sleep and they seem to work very well together. Just wait, during the first 10 days I didn’t feel anything. It’s not for short term fast acting treatment. If you need faster treatment I need to ask your doctor about benzos.

1 like

Thank you. I've been on klonopin for a year, trying to find something besides benzos 😞

2 likes

Klonopin is one of the best anxiety meds but unfortunately it’s very hard to get off of. I wouldn’t mind trying it or Valium for anxiety. Buspar is similar but it takes almost 2 months to relieve all the symptoms and it’s a 50/50.

1 like

Hi elizabeth i have had great luck with paxil very little to no side affects been on it for 9 years helps me huge

2 likes

Thank you. My doctor told me that might help me better. May give this a couple days then give paxil a try

1 like

Stay positive don't give up keep your mind busy ...we are always here to help

1 like

You may also like...