Please help. I cant breath. Is this anxiety? What do I have? What do I do? Am I overreacting?

Im 14 and my "anxiety" or whatever it is comes and goes. I'm the typical social, happy, loud girl but ever since Sep. 2015 (today is March 2016) I've been having anxiety. I had 2x family issues i normally have and I moved back and forth around that time. But every time I wake up to a lot of work, I freeze. I tend to like freak out. Sometimes I start to shiver/shake my hands and legs feel numb or cold and I start to feel really lightheaded. Like it feels like I might pass out. I can't breath. Its really hard to breath, and then I just cry. I just cry. Like a lot. Because of this I would have to miss a couple of days of school. Because this is a on and off thing, my dad thinks I'm over exaggerating and I don't know what's wrong with me. But it's not like I have anxiety and panic attacks everyday, it only shows up when I'm really stressed and it blows up. I feel like I should go to someone for help but I'm afraid that I'm like making this up. I don't know who to go to and I'm unable to really afford therapy either. I don't know if I have anxiety and if I'm getting panic attacks or not. And I know how to 'handle' anxiety though, like breath, step away, talk to someone about it, but that's preventing me from getting the task done. When I do have a 'panic attack' I do all the things it says in the book but that results in me missing the next day of school. I've been calling hotliness when I have a meltdown but these meltdowns come and go. So when it hits, I break for hours, and right afterwards I'm good and normal. Because of that my dad thinks that I'm over reacting.

What do you guys think I have? Is it anxiety? Am I overreacting? How do I get help without seeming like I'm seeking for attention? What do I do?


Featured Content

Join our community

The community helps everyone affected by anxiety by providing support, information and guidance.


Featured by HealthUnlocked

6 Replies

  • Sounds like anxiety and panic attacks. My daughter is 15 and started having the same symptoms last year. I ended up having to take her to the dr and they said that's exactly what it was. The dr put her on meds and she's doing much better.

  • Thank you for your respone.

    Should I go to my regular doctor or should I go to a doctor that specializes in this category?

  • You can go to your regular dr. and they can prescribe you the meds.

  • oh wow thank you :)

  • Do you have medical insurance? Usually that covers therapy. I'm guessing you live with dad..where is mom? Any adult you can talk to instead of keeping stuff inside?

  • oh it does?? Thank you i didn't know my medical insurance could cover therapy.

    my parents are divorced and i moved to my moms to new york during Sep 2015 and that's when i started to have anxiety. there's nothing wrong with how my mom treated me it was because the environment was so new (moved from CA to NY). I try to talk to my dad about it but he kind of pushes it to aside. if i tell him that i think somethings wrong with me, he thinks that i'm just over reacting. so every time i do have a meltdown I've been calling a hotline. i do have friends to talk to, but i'm afraid that they might judge me because my anxiety is such a on and off thing. i'm afraid that they might also think that i'm faking it and that i just want the attention. Like i know that they wont judge me but it just feels odd to think about talking to them about it.

    because i didnt know really where to go i kind of went with this website. :/

You may also like...