Why is it when people try to help, it is completely unhelpful?!

Hi all! I have been extremely poorly all weekend with stomach flu. I had to miss several important engagements and although people were lovely about it, I just feel my weekend has been completely ruined. Even though I feel better physically, I've now fallen in to a mini depressive state. My parents are trying to "help", but how do I say to them in a nice way I don't need advice I just want to get through this on my own? My mum had a go at me because I had been in bed all day and I "should be out in the fresh air" and my dad just sat there like a lemon and said "well what do you expect me to do about it?" Sometimes I really think I've turned a corner with them, but other times I feel very alone in all of this.

2 Replies

• People can just make things worse by offering their brand of "help". I think that it would be better in the long run if they just butt out!

• Lol! Too true! I know they're trying to help, but it can be very frustrating. I had a horrible situation happen today and I phoned my dad in floods of tears and he said "well, I don't know what the answer is" bless him! And I just said "I'm not looking for an answer or solution I just want to vent and have a good cry!"

You may also like...