Anxiety and excess ear wax!

Seeing another question about ears I thought I'd ask about (yuk) excess ear wax and anxiety.

I had a very bad and stressful time at the beginning of 2011 and weirdly my ears started to fill with wax at the same time, to the extent I had, in the end, to have them syringed.

I all my 50+ years I've never had a single problem with my ears until then and they still are a waxy problem now - and my anxiety is still pretty bad too.

I thought it strange that my ears filling with wax and the horrendously stressful and painful time coincided so exactly until I happened on a comment on another forum about stress and excess ear wax.

Taking 99.9% of all you read on the internet as untrue/made-up/guess work/total boll*cks I searched further and actually found academic and medical studies relating to this weird thing.

Anyone else noticed the same thing or have started to get blocked ears along with anxiety?

5 Replies

• Hi

I don't no about ear wax , but I do no 11 years ago after a big op , that brought my anxiety to a peak as it was a trauma , that I have had ever since sinus infections , which affect my ears as well , I get ear ache they feel blocked

They never seem to be able to get to the bottom of what causes it & I have often wondered if anxiety may be contributing to this problem

• Hi Bramwell

I haven't had my ears fill up with wax, but I do get really itchy ear holes lol. Inside that drive me mad, and the doctor gave me some steroid cream for it, but it flares up occasionally.

I also get dry skin in the winter time and its just clearing up now, drives me mad.

Wishing you well

• Hi, so weird to read this but my ears have been filling with wax and I was wondering if the 2 were connected, they always feel blocked recently. Sort of reassuring I suppose.

• Yes, I have had this. I kept on getting a sharp ear ache so went to see my doctor. She couldnt find any infection, just a lot of ear wax and extra sinus activitiy. I was going through a tough time. As soon as this started to resolve, the ear ache went away.

Meanwhile, I used ear drops to soften the wax & tried to ignore the sensation. Its really important not to use ear buds as that pushes the wax down making it worse.

• yes I have recuring blocked ears,and have to get them syringed out,I also have ringing in my ears and a feeling of fullness,also sinus trouble now and then,never connected anxiety with this,but who knows,anxiety can give some weird symptoms,in weird places..must look more into it...xx

You may also like...