Returning to School

Hey guys,

So I'm new this whole online community thing, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm wondering if any of you out there have tips or tricks to help coping with anxiety while returning to school. I was recently in the hospital and found my time there to be incredibly beneficial, but I think it was largely because of the slower change of pace (truly relaxing). I'm nervous because I'm going out of state and I have a great group of friends at university who all know what I'm going through, but I often hesitate to reach out, out of fear of being a burden.

Anywho, if you have any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it!

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I truly do understand your plight. After meany trials and failures I have come to understand that it's never wrong to ask for help. Keep it simple and honest... I don't know how to " eg. " do this math assignment. Can you help me?

• I have a list that i call my "mental health protocol." It's a written list of behaviors/activities that are integral to my well being. When I start falling into depression or anxiety, I try to follow my protocol. This doesn't necessarily make the illness disappear, but it speeds up the process of getting through a bad patch, and helps me avoid spiraling into a really unhealthy place.

Also, it gives me something to focus on when my mind is bouncing all over and I can't make a decision.

They seem like simple things when I'm well, but they truly help:

Eat 3 meals a day. Try to focus on clean, balanced, vitamin rich foods and avoid sugar.

Avoid alcohol

Get outside

Exercise, or at least move my body a bit

Leave the house

Interact with friends/people (preferably in person)

Unplug from social media

Get proper sleep.

Take my meds

Little things, like a short walk around the block, can accomplish several list items at once: getting outside, moving my body, leaving the house, and even intreacting with people. That little bit can go a long way, especially if I do it again tomorrow.

I hope this helps you.

You may also like...