Active 10
3,580 members1,026 posts

Stuck in a r

hi any suggestions 4 alternatives, I can't eat bread, rice, pasta or potatoes due to rheumatoid arthritis n lupus disease. I also have oedema so any suggestions 4 this'll be gr8

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Your age, height, weight and if diabetic or not.

Follow the NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme low-carb approach; 5 to 9 portions per day of fruit and veg ( mostly berries and/or non-starchy vegetables), 0 to 4 portions of low Gi carbohydrates, 2 or 3 portions of protein (don't remove the fat), 2 or 3 portions of full-fat dairy, and 5 to 10 portions of natural fat.

1 like

so if I ate a banana with a full fat yoghurt for example, how would I count that?

1 fruit + 1 carb + 1 dairy + 1 protein + 1 fat?

An NDPP portion of natural fat is up to 14g, which is 2-3 teaspoons, otherwise the portion sizes are pretty universal. See the BHF 'Facts not Fads' free online bhf.org.uk/informationsuppo... .

A portion of fruit is 80g for example, so a banana would tend to be more than one portion (personally I would count it as 1 carb portion, but technically it isn't), and we should always favour more non-starchy vegetables than fruit.

Watch portion size with the yoghurt (100g), and it would only count dairy as the fat and protein are integral.

So that's 1.5 fruit, 1 full-fat dairy.

1 like

thanks, that is helpful. I must admit I am not terribly strict, hence that banana, but it is an awful lot less carbs than I used to eat.

2 likes

thnx I'll be sure 2 implent ur suggestions n post an update.

1 like

You may also like...