New - could it be thyroid issues?: Hi, I'm new... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK

117,699 members136,500 posts

New - could it be thyroid issues?

LLr1 profile image


I'm new to this site and looking for some advice after NHS GP surgery not being able to provide further support.

I've experienced the symptoms associated with low thyroid/IBS/low b12 for a good 10+ years now. I've had blood tests done two weeks ago by my GP who said I was fine, didn't want to research further and has prescribed me IBS meds instead. Whilst I'm aware it could be IBS, I would rather know for sure after ruling other out potentials.

My recent blood results:

B12 - 272 pg/mL (197 - 771)

TSH - 1.81 (0.27 - 4.20)

Free T4 - 12.9 (12.0 - 22.0)

Liver function (serum total bilirubin) - 20 umol/L (0 - 20)

Liver function (serum albumin) - 49 g/L (34 - 50)

I've included all past results below, that may be relevant? - any I noticed were either borderline or 'abnormal':

---- 2018

MCH - 32.1 pg (27-32)

---- 2016

liver function (serum albumin) - 44 g/L (33 - 48)

liver function (serum total bilirubin) - 19 umol/L (2 - 21)

---- 2015

liver function (serum albumin) - 49 g/L (32 - 45)

liver function (serum total bilirubin) - 28 umol/L (0 - 21)

TSH - 3.2 mu/L (0.5 - 3.6)

---- 2014

TSH - 3.0 mu/L (0.5 - 3.6)

If anyone can see shine any light on these results I would really appreciate any advice on what my best move is. I'm considering seeing someone privately - although I'm not sure whether I should see a private GP or straight to a private endocrinologist? (Don't have endless money to spend).

Thank you!

13 Replies
SeasideSusie profile image


For anyone to be able to interpret your results and help, you will need to add the reference ranges that came with your results, these will be at the side of the results on the print out, possibly in brackets. You can edit your post by clicking on MORE, choose EDIT, add the information then click SUBMIT.

Please tell us what medication and supplements you may be taking.

LLr1 profile image
LLr1 in reply to SeasideSusie

Ah thank you, I've added the ranges now!

SlowDragon profile image

Just testing TSH and Ft4 is completely inadequate

For full Thyroid evaluation you need TSH, FT4 and FT3 plus both TPO and TG thyroid antibodies tested. Also EXTREMELY important to test vitamin D, folate, ferritin and B12

Low vitamin levels are extremely common, especially if you have autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's) diagnosed by raised Thyroid antibodies

Ask GP to test vitamin D, folate and ferritin levels Plus thyroid antibodies

You may need to get full Thyroid testing privately as NHS refuses to test TG antibodies if TPO antibodies are negative

Recommended on here that all thyroid blood tests should ideally be done as early as possible in morning and before eating or drinking anything other than water .

This gives highest TSH, lowest FT4 and most consistent results. (Patient to patient tip, best not mentioned to GP or phlebotomist)

Private tests are available as NHS currently rarely tests Ft3 or thyroid antibodies or all relevant vitamins

List of private testing options

Medichecks Thyroid plus ultra vitamin

Medichecks often have special offers, if order on Thursdays

Thriva Thyroid plus vitamins

Blue Horizon Thyroid Premium Gold includes vitamins

Clearly your Ft4 is very low

B12 is very low too

LLr1 profile image
LLr1 in reply to SlowDragon

Thank you, that’s helpful. I will definitely try to get some full thyroid testing done privately. I’m a bit lost looking for a private GP/endocrinologist in London. I don’t know which of the two is best to go for? I’m willing to pay around 100 for a consultation but hopefully not too much more..

I’ve received thyroid uks list of GPs and practitioners, but I find it quite hard to chose without any recommendations. If anyone does have any for specific doctors/specialists I’d really appreciate it.

SlowDragon profile image
SlowDragonAdministrator in reply to LLr1

Most endocrinologists seem to charge £200-£250 initial consultation.....cheaper on follow up appointments

You can ask members about specific Doctors

Put up a post saying something like

“Has anyone any experience of seeing “Dr Whatever his name is”

Please anyone share any information by PRIVATE MESSAGE only

First step is ALWAYS to get FULL thyroid and vitamin testing

If vitamins are low, concentrate on improving...before even seeing any endocrinologist

And essential to test for thyroid antibodies

LLr1 profile image
LLr1 in reply to SlowDragon

Ok, thank you! Maybe I’ll order a full thyroid panel test from somewhere like Genova diagnostics then before looking for an endocrinologist..

I’m not sure how I feel about paying for tests to do from home with a finger prick that could go wrong/not draw enough blood, and I’ve heard you can somehow get the blood drawn at a place even if your order and sending the test to a lab yourself? Do you have any info on how this works? Especially during current times.

SlowDragon profile image
SlowDragonAdministrator in reply to LLr1

We strongly recommend using ones I listed..cheapest and includes all tests required

Medichecks has offer on today

LLr1 profile image
LLr1 in reply to SlowDragon

Ok, will look into this. Thank you

Marz profile image
Marz in reply to LLr1

Medichecks Offer £79

FancyPants54 profile image
FancyPants54 in reply to LLr1

We mostly use finger prick home tests. They are fine. Be sure to read all the instructions well first. I do mine before 9am, but I make sure I have a good drink of water about an hour beforehand so that I'm not dehydrated. If you are, it's harder to get the blood out.

You don't need much and you can take your time. You will get enough. Getting a draw done at the moment will be hard.

LLr1 profile image
LLr1 in reply to FancyPants54

Thank you!

fuchsia-pink profile image
fuchsia-pink in reply to LLr1

I saw a private endo in London at the end of last year and it cost around £300 ...

Not sure you'll find one for £100-ish. But most private endo's have an NHS practice, so you may prefer to see one for free at their NHS practice.

The one I saw doesn't "do" T3 meds at his NHS practice, so I don't know if that rules him out for you. If not, send me a PM and I'l give you his details - but you'll need your GP to refer you ...

LLr1 profile image
LLr1 in reply to fuchsia-pink

My GP doesn't seem likely to refer me anywhere at the moment so I might have to go private. Not really sure what the difference is between all the meds if I'm honest ! so not sure what the drawbacks to not offering T3 meds would be..

I will PM you for his details!

You may also like...