Help with recent test results please

I did a private blood test on the 26th May which was less than 2 weeks into switching from levo to NDT (with great difficulty). I did not feel well during this switch but i was going through a death in the family which probably meant my adrenals were shot to pieces, insomnia, A&E visits after only taking 1/2 grain in the morn as my pulse was very high, digstive issues... the list is endless. its safe to say the switch triggered a flare in my Hashimoto's but here are the results:

TT4 75 (58-161)

TSH 0.76 (0.40-4)

FT4 12.5 (11.5-22.7)

FT3 3.8 (2.9-6.5)

FT4:FT3 ratio 3.3 (2-4.5)

RT3 032 (.014-.054)

Thyroglobulin (TG) <20

TPO >1000

I've switched back to 50mcg to levothyroxine yesterday in the hope of it calming down as i have a knee operation on the 13th and cannot go under general anaesthic when thyroid is out of whack. I'd like to try NDT again but with the guidance of a good endocrinologist or integrative doctor (hard to find here though right!)

Just wondered how i could balance this? stick to T4 or add T3 or what?

TIA

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Purplejuicy,

You need to stick on a dose of NDT for 6 weeks before testing, 2 weeks isn't long enough to indicate whether the dose was adequate or insufficient.

Have a thyroid blood test 8 weeks after you've been back on 50mcg Levothyroxine and members will advise whether you need a dose increase or need to add T3.

I hope the knee surgery goes well.

• Oh ok great, just wasted £120 then 😩 So sick of all this guessing and wasting money!

Another group were adamant I need to test my bloods to see where I am but I guess that would've changed again now I've started taking levo again.

It seems my t3 & t4 are low and rt3 is creeping up too high and I've heard t4 only meds will just contribute to rt3 if not optimal 😬

Just need to get my operation over and done with first and tackle this once I've recovered I think. Too much stress at once!

If my thyroid function (TSH & t4) isn't optimal tomorrow then I don't think they'll want to operate 😳. Really hope my levels are ok! 🙏🏽

Thanks for the advice anyway

• Purplejuicy,

You do need to check thyroid levels but no sooner than 6 weeks, not 2 weeks, after changing meds.

Those results aren't optimal because, as you say, FT4 and FT3 are low but they are within range (euthyroid) so I see no reason for the anaesthetist to be concerned.

The rT3 result is mid-range. It's nowhere near high.

_______________________________________________________________________________

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Could head spins/dizziness be a sign of under medicated thyroid? Wasn't getting it when I stopped all meds but now since starting levo again I've been woken up really early by them 😖 I'm only taking 50mcg though as didn't want to jump straight back on yo 75mcg. Shall I increase after 2 days of 50mcg? X

• Purplejuicy,

Probably. I would resume 75mcg if that's what you were prescribed. I was taken off Levothyroxine for 4 weeks and resumed the same dose I had been on.

• ok thanks. i've taken the 75mcg this morning. throat feeling fuller than ever, hard to swallow sore neck and head along with regular dizzy spells which cause a sudden rush over my body. this a normal side effect of body getting used to so much T4 again? can't remember if i felt like this 3 months ago when i first started thyroxine?

• oh and bad tinitus :(

• Purplejuicy,

I suspect a Hashi flare is causing the symptoms, it takes 7-10 days to absorb an increased dose so it is very unlikely it is an adverse effect caused by Levothyroxine.

100% gluten-free diet can help reduce Hashi symptoms and antibodies.

chriskresser.com/the-gluten...

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

You may also like...