Blood results

Happy new year to all ... I need help with my blood work results .my local GP told me all was well ! Private Dr said to do the Genova adrenal test wait for the results then do more bloods in February , up my iron and to take thyroid support sups ..... She was ok with me increasing my NDT to 2grains as I had only been on this dose for 4 weeks when bloods were done .she was a little concerned about the Tsh but I dismissed that , she feels the T4 could be low because could have adrenal stress .......... What are your thoughts ?

Tsh 0.09 miu/L (0.3-5.0)

Free T4 9.0pmol/L. (9.0-25.0)

Free T3 4.6 pmol/L (3.5-6.5)

Serum iron. 22 umol/L. (14.0-28.0 h

Serum ferritin. 28ug/L. (10.0-420.0)

Vit D 159 nmol/L. Sufficient for almost the whole population !?

B12. 675ng/L ( 220.0-700.0)

Folate. 15.5ug/L. (102.6- 17.3)

DHEA sulphate. 2.9umol/L. (0.9-12.0)

Serum albumin level. 41.0 g/L (35.0-50.0)

4 Replies

• Happy New Year, Oliva1955.

TSH and FT4 are often low in range when patients are taking T3 or NDT. FT3 4.6 was low in range so increasing to 2 grains was appropriate. Most people will feel well with FT3 in the top third of range ie >5.48.

VitD is very good, replete range is 75-200. B12 and folate are also good.

Ferritin is low, optimal is >100 to halfway through range. You could supplement iron which should be taken with 500mg-1,000mg vitamin C to aid absorption and minimise constipation. Retest in 4-6 months and take iron 4 hours away from Levothyroxine.

Iron, DHEA and albumin are within range.

I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

• Thank you , I was unaware that you shoul take Vit c with iron , I have been taking 6-800 mg and started to have stomach pain .... Could this be the cause ? I have doubled my iron to 2x28mg and I am having blood work again at the Drs on the 5 th..... Tsh , T4 , T3 ... Should I up,my not to 21/2 to get the T4 and T 3 up ....... 😊

• You could take different iron supplements (as well or instead) if what you are currently using is causing problems. A couple of ideas can be found in this document:

• TSH is useless when you are on any form of thyroxine.

You may also like...