I'm 40 yr old male. In good overall health. Been binge drinker (alcoholic) before, quit 2 years ago.
My situation is complicated, so I would divide this post into sections, for ease of understanding:
1) While drinking, my health wasn't at all bad. Used daily supplements:
Vit. A 10,000 iu
B Complex 50 mg
C 500 mg
Zn 15 mg
Bran/fiber for constipation.
2) Health deteriorated last couple of years (since quitting!). Symptoms:
- Extremely dry, brittle, thin, falling hair.
- Pale face. Though hands/palms light red in tone (i.e normal).
- Chronic constipation. Fiber supps don't work as well as while drinking!
- Most times sweating, breathless, while others feel normal room temp.
- Severe insomnia.
- Confusion, short memory, irritability, with frequent panic attacks.
3) Lab tests a year ago:
- the "usual" high Total Bilirubin (slightly above range).
- severe vitamin D deficiency (15 ng - bottom of range).
- high Vitamin A (at top end of range 86 mcg/dl).
- sign of mild liver cirrhosis (endoscopy).
- Zn high end of range. Cu and Ceruloplasmin bottom of range.
4) Lab tests this week:
- Vit. D shot up well into normal range (at 60 ng, after taking 50,000 IU cap, weekly / 20 weeks).
- Liver function test, normal, except for high TB.
- Ca bottom of range. Mg normal range.
- Fe 23 umol/L (range 8-32).
- Ferritin 58 ng/ml (range 24 - 336). During the drinking years, was around 200 ng.
- TSH 1.6 mlU/L (range 0.43-4.10).
- FRT4 12 pmol/L (7.5-21.1).
- Still waiting results for Vit A, Cu, Zn.
At start I thought I was hypothyroid (as I gained weight of 20 pounds). So took Kelp capsules and powder. Instantly my health recovered within two days, and began to experience deep sleep, almost drowsy all day! Then the Kelp (high iodine content, backfired, with same symptoms as above, but even more severe).
Stopped Kelp. Went for Iron syrup, 50 mg elemental, for 4 days. Again felt great. Hair condition significantly improved, as well as sleep, breathing. Yet men are not advised to take extra Fe, since it is pro-oxidant, damaging to liver (Fe stores - accumulation, etc).
The short of it, my doctor has little interest in my condition. Keeps saying: everything seems normal, or within normal range.
Can anyone suggest a cause for this mixed-up state of health. What's wrong with my health?
Is it hyperthyroidism, hypothyroid, anemia.