Help please

Hi I have just recently be diagnosed with fibromyalgia after years of problems and doctors not listening to each other. I am wondering if anyone knows what alternative therapies are available on the NHS in Scotland such as swimming in a hydrotherapy pool or massage, as I feel I could rattle due to the amount of tablets I am on plus more they want me to take. Any help or advice woukd be wonderful as I feel that I have been left in the dark and told just to deal with it. Many thanks in advance.

9 Replies

  • It is very much a personal journey of finding the treatment that can be tolerated using hydrotherapy was great for unknotting muscles but I was done in after only wanting sleep with a feeling of walking through treacle knee deep. Same really with tablets isn't it trying each one and how it goes taking thems different for each person.

    Forgetting my manners with a warm welcome.

  • as I don't live in Scotland could you google for hydro or a Jacuzzi second choice in your area?

  • Hi there

    Welcome to the forum :) I am sorry to hear you have just been diagnosed.

    Unfortunately the majority of us here have had to wait many years to get a definitive diagnosis.

    Often we may be expecting the diagnosis, but when it comes, when the feeling of relief has gone, we are left with a feeling of loss.

    Personally I would highly recommend that you take some time out to come to terms with your diagnosis. It can be very hard to find that acceptance within ourselves.

    If you have a look at our mother site you will find a wealth of information on Fibromyalgia

    I will leave someone who lives in Scotland (I know we do have active members from there) to answer your query.

    Wishing you less pain and more peace

    Lu x


  • Hi nikki56,

    Welcome to the forum! I live in Scotland and to my knowledge there isn't any available that are free.

    Have a word with a OT, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

    Good luck! I will do a bit of research, if I find anything that may be suitable, I will let you know.

    Soft hugs,

    Elizabeth :) xx

  • Hi nikki56 , Sorry you were treated that way.Im in the US so don't really know about Scotland.Im sure someone will come on and tell you of something in your area.Please take care.Peck 🐤

  • I was referred by my doctor for 6sessions of hydrotherapy when I lived in Edinburgh (Astley Ainslie hospital) but that was 10 years ago... so not sure if that still is available. Now I have moved to Aberdeenshire, I have continued to use water to help myself by going swimming in my local pool, I have managed to build up gradually the time I can spend in the pool. Maybe you could speak to your doctor about being referred xxx

  • Thanks for that I live in Edinburgh so will ask my gp about it.

  • Hi nikki56

    Welcome to the forum and it is wonderful to make your acquaintance. I do not live in Scotland but I wanted to sincerely wish you all the best of luck with finding the treatments that you are looking for. Please take care of yourself.

    All my hopes and dreams for you


  • Does anybody know how to get referred to a occupational therapist, I live in Edinburgh and I have come to realise that I am going to be needing some aids around my house to help me, like a rail to help get out the bath, and I have been told that you can get them through a occupational therapist. I know that they are supplied from the Ashley Ainslie hospital but just don't know how to be referred. Is it some hr information that you can self refer yourself to.

    Sorry if I've been rambling on, I'm not having a great day, in a lot of pain and feeling pretty stressed out. Maybe no-one can help but just thought I ask anyway.

You may also like...