Assessments for ESA

Does anyone know who is doing these assessments now, I had one last year and was put in wrag, this year my arthritis got worse and has moved into my lumber region as well as my hips , toes, fingers and knees, my Doctor told me to write and tell the DWP to put me into Support, however they have decided to send me for another assessment instead, my Doctor will not give me my medical records and has said that they must request them, however the appointment id for next week, any suggestions would be welcome x

13 Replies

  • It is the dreaded ATOS

  • You will need as much documentary evidence as possible.

  • Maximus took over from Atos a few months ago!

  • Also your gp by law has to give you access to records.

    One option would be to go back to gp as an appointment and ask for them to just print off a couple of recent letters or reports.Any X-ray write ups or just ask gp to write a short note with name ,address,conditions, and prognosis and get a photocopy of any repeat could offer a nominal fee to gp ,say ten pounds,to cover them doing supporting letter and let them know when you need it by.They can refuse but more likely will agree a short note to get you to go away ,in my experience.

    Hope that helps or have a look on the benefits&work site as quite useful

  • You need to request your notes in writing. Send the request to the practice manager and there is normally a fee. It is actually a good idea, as the companies employed by the dwp nay not ask for all the notes as they have to pay for them as well. Same goes for hospital notes

  • Thanks everyone, its so annoying to be called again, this will be the third one, to be honest I don't have the money to pay for notes from the Doctor, and probably don't have the time to get them as the appointment is next week x

  • My health centre will print copies of clinic letters and blood test results without fees. If you explain to the receptionist they are for the DWP and you are financially strained, I feel pretty confident they will do them off for you. If you ring or give a written request one day ,you could ask to pick them up the following day or so, as it gives them the chance to do them at a quieter time.

    I think you would probably be able to request the last three months or so this way, any further back and you will likely be charged.

    Hope this helps.

  • Thanks Bluebell, I will do that tomorrow and see what they can do x

  • Hi angelm54

    I am so sorry to read that you are being left in a bit of a quandary and as your other respondents have said, you are entitled to your medical notes but there could be a fee for them. It may help to inform them that you are not able to pay as you are on benefits and they may just react kindly? There are several companies undertaking assessments at this time including ATOS still, Maximus and Capita, depending on where you live.

    Fibromyalgia Action UK have a dedicated benefit helpline that you may find useful, I have pasted the number for you here: 0844 887 2450

    I have also pasted you a link to their benefits advice section on the website:

    I want to genuinely and sincerely wish you all the best of luck with your assessment.

    All my hopes and dreams for you


  • Thank you Ken, will be working on getting my notes today !!

  • take as much as you can, I posted here the other day about my daughters assessment with Maximus in Canterbury on Monday, be early and take as much information as you can.. good luck xx

  • Thanks Pat x

  • You have a legal right to a copy of your medical records under both the Freedom of Information Act and the Data Protection Act. The GP practice is permitted to charge you a statutory fee of £10 to provide the records. If the records do not include letters from hospital consultants, you should write to each one and request copies of the letters.

You may also like...