Fibromyalgia Action UK
38,717 members50,979 posts

Carers Allowance

Things are getting so bad on the fibro front here that my DH is thinking of retiring a couple of years early to look after me. It will be tight as he won't have his state pension, but I've done some research and it seems as if he might qualify to receive Carers' Allowance? I've looked but can't find anything except really basic info online - what it is, how much etc, but nothing about qualifying for it? Can anyone help with this, and would anybody like to comment on the wisdom or otherwise of making this choice to retire early?

9 Replies

So sorry to hear you are in this situation. I receive a care allowance for my Husband it is around £61 a week. There are other benefits you could claim, I rely on CAB and of course this forum for advice because I don't retain info very well. Not very much use I know, I'm sure someone will come along with more help. Wishing you all the best. Lou x


Hello Artyrose. I have just had a quick look and found that if you type in. careers allowance it will give you a choice of sites where you can get info including NHS choices. Have you looked on fibroaction there may be some thing there as well. sorry i havnt got longer to look but must male a move.

Hugs suexx


Hi Artyrosie

I have pasted you some details below from the eligibility section of the GOV.UK website pages: (please find the link to these pages at the bottom of the post):


You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:

you’re 16 or over

you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone

have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years

you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces

you’re not in full time education or studying for more than 21 hours a week

you earn less than £102 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension)

You might not get Carer’s Allowance if you already get one of these benefits:

State Pension

Bereavement Allowance

contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance

contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

Incapacity Benefit

Industrial Death Benefit

Maternity Allowance

Severe Disablement Allowance

training allowance

Unemployability Supplement – paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Pension

War Widow’s or Widower’s Pension

Widowed Mother’s Allowance

Widowed Parent’s Allowance

Widow’s Pension

You should still apply for Carer’s Allowance even if you get these as your benefits might be increased.

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - the middle or highest care rate

Attendance Allowance

Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, or basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

Here is the link to the GOV.UK pages on eligibility:

I want to wish you all the best of luck with your application for Carers Allowance.

All my hopes and dreams for you

Ken x

1 like


Ken has given you excellent advice on the benfit so I can't add anything to that. My husband became ill a year before me and I worked happily part time which fortunately enabled me to take him to all his medical appointments and give him alot of support I think he would have sunk if I had been working full time. A year later I became ill and we had to make the decision when ESA finished as it was contribution based for him to cash in his private pensions early as he was 7 years from retirement so we did not eat into the savings we had too much. Iit was a big blow losing both incomes and I was still a couple of years off official State Retirement age but it is amazing how much you can cut back and how much when you analyse it that you waste on different things when you have reasonable money coming in. Yes it affected his private pension and no it wasn't ideal but at least we have been together to support each other. When one is having a bad day the other is normally have a better day and can hopefully look after the other. I used to be an advisor and the times people came for advice and it was the carer who had also became very ill with the pressure of trying to hold down a job and to care were so many I lost count. If you could get the carer's allowance it would make a big difference as it can have a knock on effect with various other benefits. It is a difficult decision to make and it could be that you make the decision for him to carry on working and instead pay for help within the home and perhaps some personal care for you as that is another option to consider. Good luck with whatever decision you both decide to make and let us know how you get on.x

1 like


I cannot give you advice regarding carers allowance. As I do not claim any benefits at present, neither does my husband. But my husband took very early retirement to look after me. Obviously, money is much tighter, we even moved to live in a cheaper area, so we could get rid of our huge mortgage. I was anxious about moving area, but to be honest you tend to loose most of your friends with this condition anyway!

It really has been the best decision we have made.

Life is more relaxed and we get chance to enjoy our home and sitting in the garden if the weather permits. As others have said, it's amazing how you can cut your loth, if needs allow.

I do hope I have helped answer a bit of your question. I love having my hubby around all day, and do not feel so anxious, if I have a flare.

Good luck with what ever you decide. Gentle hugs x


Thank you all for the trouble you have taken to reply, this forum really is brilliant. What I don't understand from the gov website is what it means about net income after "care costs"? And it wouldn't be a salary it would be his pension, but not his state pension. The sums on the back of the envelope all indicate that getting carers allowance could make the difference between us managing and living in direst penury! Not an attractive prospect, but we've done it before and can do it again.

However, I don't at present receive the middle or higher rate care component of DLA, which is another qualifying condition. I'm sure I could get it as my needs have changed, but I'm pretty sure that would trigger the move to PIP, and I'm really nervous about that - I know the government have moved the goalposts extensively, and not sure I feel strong enough to fight them right now.


Sorry I haven't been looking at posts as I have actually been away for 3 days at a wedding, first time away for 3 years! Yes I would think if you ask for a reconsideration of your DLA it will lead to you applying for PIP. For some people according to what their illnesses are it can be easier to get and for some more difficult, The Benefit and Works site has a kind of calculator where you can answer questions on PIP and get a good indication of what kind of points you would get.Both the standard and higher rate of PIP give eligibility to Carer's Allowance. Is there a Citizen's Advice Bureau or an Age UK Information Office (they now deal with people 50 and over) near you where you could ask them for help. The Carers UK site on the internet has an excellent easy to understand ssection on Carer's Allowance and also an Advice Line on 08088087777. Best of luck let us know how you get on.x

1 like

Thank You Rosewine :)

By the way, just for info for all. We have a link to the benefits & Work self test via this post which is pinned to the side of this community for your use.


Hello Artyrosie,

Can I add that this factsheet may help too;

Regarding your change of circumstances with DLA, as far as know it will not change to PIP if you ask to have DLA reviewed unless in the areas that they are currently working to change everyone to PIP.

Here's a PIP timetable with postcodes to which areas they are addressing;

Also if you need a guide on Carers Allowance I am sure we could send one to you by email

Best Wishes

Emma :)

FibroAction Administrator


You may also like...