Log in
Fertility Network UK
15,026 members24,916 posts

Endo and blocked tubes before starting IVF

Hi all

I'm hoping for some advice from anyone else that has been diagnosed with endo and blocked tubes before starting IVF. I've been told that the endo isn't too severe from a diagnostic lap and HSG - it's currently on my left ovary and POD but both tubes are also blocked.

We've got our post-op/next consultation on Tuesday which is when we'll find out when we can start out NHS-funded IVF cycle. My question is, should I be pushing for a lap to have the endo removed and my tubes clamped/removed?

The endo doesn't cause my much pain - I had just gotten used to having painful periods - and if anything I'm really keen to start IVF without having to wait another 7 months for gynae op. But I've read elsewhere that having endo produces a toxic environment for embryos so can lower the chances of IVF working. And that blocked tubes are also bad to sustain a pregnancy?

I think my consultant is going to say just get on with IVF but if our chances are reduced with endo and blocked tubes should I push to get it sorted first? Obviously this means even more waiting which I almost can't face but equally want to have the best shot at IVF.

Has anyone else got experience of this either way? Eg has someone gone ahead with IVF without getting blocked tubes and endo removed and been successful? Or were you advised not to go ahead before getting tubes clamped/removed and another lap?

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies

Hi there, I have endo and had a laparoscopy in 2014 which returned within a year so when I was referred back to the bsge centre where I had my surgery, I was referred for ivf after six months on prostap (a hormonal treatment for endo)

I think it was generally considered that my laparoscopy was recent enough as I had stage 3 endo excised and various organs 'untangled' (not a v.technical term!) from one another by adhesions.

I think it can depend on the stage of this endo, did they tell you what yours was? My consultant has said that, like you've read, endo can cause a toxic environment for a embryo as it is an inflammatory condition, however the less severe the endo, the better it can be for a lady to become pregnant I think.

Personally I would probably want to have another laparoscopy where endo is excised (which is more effective than ablation) before starting ivf, like you say..to give yourself the best chance. I understand you not wanting to wait as I felt the same, but you would know you've done all you could.

Lots of luck whatever you decide, endo sucks and isn't at easy to live with but I hope you are successful in achieving your dream xx

1 like

I also had severe endo and hydrosalpinx on both my tubes. My ivf clinic would let me continue with treatment until both tubes had been removed. It was hard to go through an operation that will forever make it impossible to get pregnant alone but then you think you'd never get pregnant even if you left them in. We had our IVF treatment and I had our little boy back in March xx I would say see how your consultation goes at the ivf clinic as they will know best and for them it's just trying to give you the best possible chance to get pregnant xx



I found out I had endo with a 7cm mass on left ovary and tube. Unfortunately a general gynae decided he could tackle it and removed the ovary and tube and told me he got it all. Like you I've just learned to live with the painful periods and didn't think it was severe.

Two months after I had horrendous pain on my period and went for a scan (I know they aren't great at diagnosing endo). I had a 5cm mass where my ovary should be, suspected bowel stuck to uterus and right ovary stuck to uterscaral ligaments (think with bowel and ligament involvement it makes it severe?)

I was 37 with one ovary and didn't feel i had time for the lap to sort out the endo and went straight to ivf.

The bgse specialist I saw also said some research suggests the endo can stop getting pregnant however I feel that there's just no conclusive proof as the whole disease is a dark art.

I had my ovary removed in May, first round of ivf in Feb (realistically I did have time to have another lap). We needed icsi as even though nhs swimmer test said hubby was ok at the clinic they re tested and he wasn't. I'm now 20 weeks pregnant.

My decision was based on time left and circumstances. Also the nhs funding runs out at 39 in my ccg. Also I'm on a endo fb support group and theres lots of ladies on there without laps that have fallen pregnant naturally so I thought it was worth the chance.

Can't comment on the tube aspect, I only have the right one and its never been looked at, but it's probably knackered!

Good luck in whichever way you decide to go x

1 like

You may also like...