This my 3rd week of having the Mirena Coil but I have been bleeding since 16th Jan & in constant pain, worse than before it was fitted!

I was previous severly aneamic with servere Endo, hence the coil but I just fell so Ill again, I feel very tired, everything is too much effort, I have stomach cramps & back pain, much worse then before the Mirena Coil. Does anyone else have these problems or an I being dramatic & not giving it enought time to settle. I am sitting a work (office) which is unbearable I just want to go home to bed ;-(

Last edited by

5 Replies

• Hi Molly J

I had a Mirena fitted several years ago, it was certainly uncomfortable for a few weeks but soon settles in, it took about 6 months for the spotting and bleeding to subside completely, but once it had, I was period free for 4 years.....just give it time.

However if you still feel uncomfortable, contact your GP who may be able to offer reassurance and pain relief.

Take care

• Thanks Emma, I really do not like the way I feel at the moment just want to curl up in bed with a hot water bottle, which isnt easy when you work........... I think as you say I will try my GP, although I am already on pain killers which makes me feel like a zombie...............

Thanks again for your reply, its always nice to know your not the only one, which it seems like at the time.

• Hi MollyJ,

My condition was nowhere near as serious and painful as yours, but I do agree with everything that Emma says. The mirena changed my life and - so far - has allowed me a painfree perimenopause, unlike the previous 40 years. I just hope I can have another one fitted when this one reaches its sell-by, as I'm worried they will think it's not necessary for a post- menopausal woman. Try to give it time, but: yes, meanwhile, see your GP maybe they can give you more targeted pain relief, and check it hasn't moved at all.

Take care.

• Hi I had one fitted about 8weeks ago I must admit I had awful pain but I would say give it time as touch wood has settled and sure it will for you. I only ever read negative things about the coil but I am going to give it the 6 months like they suggest. Hope you feel better might be worth getting nurse check its still in place or no infection.

• Hi all thanks for your replies, I saw my G P this morning, she took it out, which I am happy about. She has signed me off work for the week & said have bed rest, (which is all I can energy wise do anyway.)She is a believer that yes give it time but regardless of time you know yourself if you feel different. She thinks my body was rejecting it hence I felt so ill. So I guess time will tell now.....

You may also like...