My recent HbA1C on Long Wheat Diet (Chapati)

Hi , I started Long Wheat (Khapli Gahu in Marathi) diet 3 months ago. When started, my HbA1c was 6.4 and now it is 6.2, I was expecting HbA1C below 6. My fasting is 105-115 by meter (8-10 points less in lab) and PPBS is 120-130 by meter. I am on 250-0-250 mg metformin and N-media multivitamin. I use chapati instead of mash. I am very keen in reducing my HbA1C below 5.5, My Diet is 40-45% Carb, 20-25% Protein and remaining Fat. Please suggest.

18 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I find your readings very good.Your medication is also not high.Better to maintain the present levels.

• Reduce carbs by 15% as first step and substitute with fat. Your A1C will come down. Then reduce to 20% and replace with fat. 40-45% CARBS for a 2000kcal means you are consuming > 200gms carbs which is very high.

Good control is if A1C is below 5.6

• Hi, medfree NAULA E CAP. BY TORRENTO CAN WORK TO GET 300mg alpha lipoic acid or some other brand please help.thanks.

• ALPHA LIPOIC ACID 300mg from mynutramart.com (Zenith brand) and Supradyn multivitamin works out cheapest for me. The combinations costs less than other stuff. Good that so many ALA brands have now started appearing in market.

• Torrent is a reputed brand.if it is available in your area.you can use it.it is costly rs 10 per tabs.but ALA affect on blood sugar control is not proven.yeah as far as multivitamin is concerned supradyn is the best....

• Thanks Medfree, I will try to substitute some carbs with fats and see what happens..

• Looks like, you still need to reduce carbs in your diet. Add some exercise with your diet regime.

• Your fasting is on higher side.first increase metformin at night to 500mg and bring fasting to 100.then play with your diet .i think khapli is not working for you.if you can try strict lchf it will work and probably you might get freedom from metformin also.

you should give a try to alpha lipoic acid also 300mg od.trade name is NUALA E and see it works.

best luck.

• Precisely! One has to take control of what goes in meals. How are your sugar levels now after switching to LCHF? Are they any better than what you posted last time? How about drugs? Have they come down or eliminated?

• Since it showing down ward please do not get get disheartened continue the same treatment what your doctor has said.

• sshk: Chances are that it would have come down without long wheat and if you continued your earlier diet, it could have come down more. I do not think there has been any controlled experiment to establish credentials of Long wheat as a game changer.

• There is no worry at this stage as the results are showing residence towards decidence. Hence ,kindly continue the present diet and drugs provided the doctor suggests better.

• Your fundamental aim should be to avoid taking medicine for T2DM. There is no charm in claiming any benefits when we continue to consume medicines.

Kindly follow the same diet and monitor FBS with reduced level of medicine(firstly 3/4 and then 1/2 and later 1/4). Please do not reduce your carbohydrate in take at any cost; but increase your saturated fat quantity.

• HI Dear- U can adopt the following course of action for controlling ur Diabeties-

A.Kindly understand that all of us are having the sugar in our body. The question is only that in our body it goes beyond the reasonable limits and that is why it starts giving problem. Further sugar levels going below the prescribed levels are equally not good. Therefore, cure is to keep it in within the reasonable limits. Once it has come within reasonable limits, our job is to keep and maintain it in within reasonable limits and that we can do without the help of medicines and by following the following course of action.

B.Kindly understand that our Blood Sugar level deviates from the reasonable acceptable limits, as we have restricted ourselves to our house/office and going away from nature. It happens due to lack/shortage of Oxygen in our body. In summer season, we prefer to apply Air-conditioners/Desert Coolers and in Winter Season, we prefer to apply Electric heaters etc, instead of taking fresh air from the nature/wearing warm clothes. So the solution is to minimize the use of these products and have oxygen/fresh air from the natural resources.

C. Kindly understand that we are having the habit of eating those fruits/vegetables & other items which suit to our taste and do not prefer to eat those items which are not according to our taste. Here the advice is to involve all permissible foods/vegetable/ dairy products & other eatables as part of our daily eating habits. Kindly understand that Diabeties interfers in our life, because of our focus on some specific eatables and ignorance towards the other valuble eatables required by our body. Here the cure is to have all permissible eatables are part of our daily routine. (Balance of Carbohydrates/vitamins/proteins & Minerals).

D.Kindly further understand that in present days, we need to involve light Physical Exercise/Yoga and Meditation as an integral part of our daily routine. Further we need to avoid unnecessary mental stress.

E.Further note that the digestion of food had of us is also equally important. Kindly eat less than what is desired by the stomach so that it can easily be digested. Have the food again after some time and allow it to digest properly.

1. Get up early in the morning, before the sun rises and go on terrace and do the exercise of INHALE & EXHALE of oxygen, just for 20 minutes.

2. Go for a normal work, morning and evening, 30 minutes, each time.

3. Take a glass of hot water (As hot as tea), 15 minutes after Lunch & Dinner and it will wash out the sugar so created by the food so consumed.

4. After 30 minutes of lunch, take a teaspoon of powder of Dry Awla (Goosberry) and Saunf (Aniseed) (both in equal quantity) with normal water. Both Awla/Amla and Aniseed are available either at the shops of dryfruits or where the spices are available.

5. If you want to take Rice, as part of food, take it after taking out the water from Rice or preferably take Brown Rice.

6. If you want to take Potato, as part of Vegetable, always take boiled potatos and take it in liquid form and not in dry form.

7. Take Chapati, prepared of wheat combining of -Wheat Flour, Black Gram and Barley-All in equal quantities. Black Gram will support the function of heart and Barley will clean up and strength the kidney functions. (Reduce the ratio if the chapatti becomes hard to eat).

8. Use of Refined Flour (Maida) should be restricted as far as possible, as it is highly contributory factor in increase of Diabeties. Therefore, the items made of Refined Flour such as normal bread, PAAO, Pizzabase, Samosa, Bhature etc should be avoided as far as possible. However, Brown Bread can be taken.

9. Take Fruit and Vegetable Salad, as integral part of food, without pouring Salt and Chat Masala or any other spice on it, at the time of Lunch & Dinner.

10. Take Sprouts and Milk Products as integral part of daily food. Milk Products includes Double Toned Milk-Low Fat Milk, Curd, Buttermilk and Paneer.

11. Mix up 1/4th teaspoon of Haldi Powder (Turmeric powder) in winters and reduce it to one pinch in summer season (Yellow in color) with a glass of hot milk, without sugar and have it 30 minutes before going to bed. It will purify the blood in the body and also eliminates every type of pains and weaknesses in the body and further strength the body. It will also not allow any type of cancer in the body and also will not allow the stage of knee replacement even at any stage of ur life.

12. Avoid taking vegetables like Pototaos, Sweet Potatos, Carrot etc. having the sweet contents and fruits like, sugarcane, Mango, oranges, Bannanna, grapes etc.

13. You can have vegetables like Cauliflower, Cabbage, Methi (Fenugreek Leaves), Palak, Raddish, Lady Finger, Tinda, Brinjal etc.

14. You can have fruits like, Gowua, Apple, Pomigrantte, Watermelon, Pappaya etc.

15. Take the leafts of Raddish and have it in raw form as part of salad.

16. During Summer Season, always take Buttermilk-salted one, as part of food. It will improve digestive system and reduce the overburdening of Liver function.

17. Avoid taking normal tea & Coffee. Always take Green Tea.

18. Avoid taking Oily and more salty food. Reduce the consumption of oil, butter, Ghee and always consume easily digestable food.

19. Take one Karela (Bitter Melon/Bitter Gourd/Bitter Squash) and four Tomatos, make a juice of them and have it twice a day.

20. Always go for medical tests of brain, heart, liver, kidney and eyes, once in a year. For Blood Sugar, always go for HB1C and Sugar PP-every three months, in order to observe the developments. Also go for checking the numbness of the feet and take soft brush for cleaning the teeth.

21. Always take the restricted food, as mentioned above, in reasonable quantity, at least once in a week, so that inner system of the body will remain conversant with the restricted items also.

22. Change in life style and eating habbits is equally important to medicine. If we depend only on medicines and will not change our life style and eating habbits, then after sometime, medicine may stop working.

23. Change in Life Style also includes taking Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner at fixed time, Getting up early in the morning, going to bed maximum by 10 PM at night, Have a sound sleep of at least 6-8 hours a day, do not go for sleep during the day time.

24. For improving the strength in the body, Five Almonds and Five Wallnuts should be consumed. However, Cashewnuts and Raisin (Kismish) should be avoided. Further all Five types of MAGAJ are equally beneficial.(Available on the shops, where Dry Fruits are sold).

25. For Sexual & Urinary disorders, soak one teaspoon of Methi Dana in one glass of normal water, for overnight. In the morning, take out Methi Dana and consume the water, empty stomach.

26. For clearing the blockages of nerves in the entire body, take 20 gms of Garlic, cut it into smaller pieces. Boil the garlic in one glass of hot milk with one glass of water. Boil it till the point it remains only one glass of milk. Strain it and have such milk in the morning, empty stomach. Kindly remember that u should not consume anything (not even water) for next one hour. This will also clear the blockage of nerves and will also remove every type of pain in the body, caused due to blockage or other deficiency in nerves of the body.

• you haven't mentioned that since how long you are diabetic?. otherwise your level is quite good.. I hope that you are a very recent entrant to the diabetic family.. whatever medicine or diet, it is compulsory to do the regular exercise or walking 45-60 minute daily. you have to make this habit since you are a diabetic for life time. without this no medicine can work effectively and efficiently

• I diagnosed as diabetic in Nov 2010 with HbA1C 8.9%, 250 Fasting & 350 PP. Initially I just eliminated only sugar from my diet and numbers came to 150 fating & 250 PP in one weeks time. After doctor started metformin 500 mg SR at night, HbA1C came down to 7.7 in 3 months, then 6.6 in next 3 months and 5.7 in another 3 months. But since I am always travelling I lost control over diet and HbA1C became 7.9 in next 3 months. Again I took control and now my HbA1C is always less that 6.4% since last 1&1/4 years.

I walk for half an hour after dinner and half an hour exercise in the morning including 15 minutes on elliptical trainer.

For the benefits of all my recent diet is:

Exercise - 6.15 to 6.45 AM

Before Breakfast: Methi seeds & 5 almonds (soaked in water overnight)

Breakfast (7.30AM) - Oats, Mixed Sprouts, Apple, tea with stevia sugarfree, 1 spoon flaxseed powder with water

Snacks (10.30AM) - 1 Chapati, Green Tea

Lunch (1.30PM) - 2 chapati, black beans or mung dal, green vegetable sabji, salad

Snacks (4.30PM) - Orange, handful of nuts (walnuts+almond+peanuts)

Dinner (8.30PM) - 2 chapati, black beans or mung dal or other pulses, green vegetable sabji, raw tomato, lemon, 1 spoon flaxseed powder with water

9.45 to 10.15 walk

All chapatis are of long wheat.

We use different oils for cooking, mainly Olive, Rice Bran, Ground nut

Please suggest changes if any.

Regards,

sshk

• Could you please give the Hindi names for flax seeds and black beans and also information about their availability? Thank you.

• Hi,

You are having good control over sugar level. Medicine and i feel diet also is acceptable. May try to reduce card equivqlent. There is one difficiency Vitamins and minerals especially Iron. Your Hamoglobin has to improve and you need to take tonic or if you have control you take and Amla fruit and drum sticks, leaves of the same etc containing iron. Please do excercise or walk for 40 minutes

You may also like...