Life after graduation- fairy steps and big strides

So I graduated about two weeks ago - doing 3.4km in 30 mins. Have kept the three times a week routine but changed my rundouble app to distance- as opposed to time - to keep me out a little longer every time and have progressed up to 4km.

Had some truly awful runs where have walked more than I run,including Sunday morning when got severe stomach cramps at 2km out and then had to walk all the way home :-( However the positive that came out of that was I kept the app on - and realised that my jogging pace is not that much faster than my "brisk walk" - there is a positive bare with me!

I realised that when I walk briskly I really stride - I am only 5'7" but can really stretch- however when I run I seem to take little bl**dy fairy steps - really quite annoying as they take much more effort!!

Anyway the positive is I was awake before the alarm this morning (5.56am!!) and raring to go to try to alter my stride.

Not sure I achieved very much but it did give me something else to think about other than Bryan Adams song lyrics - and I did 4.14km in 38 minutes with only a small walk (damn that hill!) in the middle.

Any thoughts/tips on how to increase stride length gratefully received!

Happy Running all

S xxx

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I always think that my stride length is too short, and I laugh at you saying that you are only 5' 7" because when I was younger women of that height were considered tall. However, I ran with the stamina podcast this morning, and Laura said to make sure that my feet fell under my body, ie small strides. No problems there then!

• Thanks for this Delores - I have just downloaded the three C25K+ podcasts - I originally thought you had to be doing 5km to try these - but it appears not :-)

looking forward to getting out there again! Many thanks your thoughts.

• I am not doing 5K in 30 but I have tried the stepping stones.

• I laughed as well! I'm pushing it to say I'm 5'2". ;-) Between knee niggles and leg length, I take fairy steps! :-) If you have the opportunity to enter a run, this would be my suggestion. I was running no where near a 30 min. 5K at grad time (still not) but I did find out I can continue on well past my 30 min. The 3- 5K's I've ran all are within 37-40 minutes. Wishing you continued running success!!! :-) Gayle

• Aah thanks Gayle - I am trying to get myself mentally ready for a park run - have two friends who want me to go with them - but they both do 5k in under 30mins and cant bare the embarrassment! Have promised them by Christmas :-) as hope by then to at least be able to run 5k -even if it takes me longer to do it!! Happy running to you too- and keep blogging - always love to hear hat you are doing, :-) Susan xxx

You may also like...