Bad post graduation run

Well yesterday I went out for my first post graduation run. It was a disaster. I had to take my littlest in the pushchair - which I have done many times. I managed 3.2k and I had to stop. Along the route the wind was against me, which made it hard going. I have a cold, littlest daughter hasn't been sleeping all week as she's had a virus and I'd just done a 12 hour shift at work the day before (I'm a nurse). I think I knew from the start of the run that it was going to be hard work, but so far I've never given up on a run. I feel a bit deflated and am now doubting my ability. Dreading my next run in case I fail again.

In reality I think my body just didn't have the energy, and I know everyone has bad runs but it's so frustrating...!

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Under the circumstances 3.2k seems like a achievement rather than a fail to me. After a 12 hour shift and with a sick child I'd be thinking relax, bit of crap telly, hot toddy, and sleep.

• Wow, JoP1! What an achievement! Don't be so hard on yourself, look after yourself, cut yourself some slack! I sound like your Mum now, sorry! Take a couple of days out to recharge your batteries and have another go. It's easy to see this programme as a race to w9r3 but its really about changing your life for ever so there's no rush. Good luck and I hope your wee one is feeling better.:)

• The good news is this was definitely not a fail - you did 3.2K under difficult circumstances and then very sensibly stopped.

The even better news is - as a graduate you can do 3.2K anytime you like without disrupting the programme - you are ALLOWED to do short runs :-D I've been doing 3K for my last 4 runs due to a bashed knee.

Are you going to try any of the 5K+ podcasts? Let us know how you get on! And 'get better soon' to your little daughter :-)

You may also like...