first run for a week- running to the beat

Been worried over the last week about today's run. It's the first time since graduating that I have left it more than 3 days and after a week I was just looking to get round and get back on track. I chose or thought I chose the stepping stone podcast for a bit of support but must have pressed the forward skip on the iPod and unwittingly got stamina! The first 10 minutes were the hardest as I had to fight a bit of incipient stitch but Laura's tips in couch to 5K helped me through this and then it was fine - much to my surprise. I omitted the final 5 minute burst stopping the run at 30 minutes but was pleasantly surprised to find that the pace-setting had got me through 5K anyway.

Possible Tip:I have previously found it hard to match my running step to the music despite being fairly musical-something to do with adjusting not just pace but length of stride I had thought the last time I tried it but this time I found that concentrating on making my right arm drive through on the beat(on the 1st and 3rd)was much easier and i found my feet just followed without thinking about it.It worked for me anyway!

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • > Possible Tip:I have previously found it hard to match my running step to the music despite

> being fairly musical...

> I found that concentrating on making my right arm drive through on the beat(on the 1st and

> 3rd)was much easier and i found my feet just followed without thinking about it.It worked for

> me anyway!

I had read that matching your arm swing to the beat is easier, and the legs pick up the beat from your arms.

• Thanks swanscot for the comment. It's good to know there is some foundation to the suggestion.

• Very useful tip. I also consider myself fairly musical but struggled to run to the beat too. Will give it a try next time.

• I'll be interested to see if it works for you. I'm hoping to get out today and this time I might have a go at the stamina podcast intentionally and see if I can do the whole 35 mins at the speeds set.

• Thanks for that tip. I did the Speed podcast this morning and the only time I knew I was definitely running to the beat was when I was running up hill on the faster interval! I'm fairly musical, but just can't get my feet to find the right beat, so will try your tip next time!

• Great Caz9. Let me know if it works for you.

You may also like...