Owch! Week two... something went wrong

Bit sad this week - went out on the first run of week two yesterday and got a real pain in the back of my shin part way through one of the runs. Tried to persevere, but aware that as an inexperienced runner I shouldn't push it, hobbled my way painfully back to the car.

The drive home was a nightmare trying to push the clutch pedal...

Anyway, looks like I have pulled (or possibly torn :-/) my shin muscle.

Am trying to be sensible and rest it, put ice on it and not walk about - it is agony and very embarrassing hobbling around at work after only one week of trying to exercise! So I think I will probably be out of action for a week or two and will likely have to go back to week one to get back on track. Very frustrating but I am hoping that I will learn from this - will certainly be looking at additional warm up exercises once I get back running again...

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I also suffered from shin pain, you need to apply RICE(!) rest, ice, compression and elevation. Which it sounds like you are. I also spoke to my experienced runner friend who suggested additional calf stretches which in turn will stretch the shin muscles. I wish you a speedy recovery, don't give up and restart when you are feeling stronger x

• Thanks for your advice and for passing on advice from your running pal about this. Actually it was my calf muscle - I wrote my blog whilst rather pain-addled! So what you've suggested should definitely help. Am also considering running on grass to reduce impact. Thanks again!

• Good luck x

• I'm no expert being only on Wk 2 ready for run3 tomorrow, but in the past every time I did some exercise, I managed to hurt myself quite bad. I couldn't walk for nearly a week after a spinning class left my legs feeling like broken wood. Lactic acid "rush" is my worst fear with exercise.

So far with this training, I haven't had any major pain (touch wood) but I start my fast walking as soon as I leave my house and then start the podcast only when I reach the park where I train. So, I have a 10/15 min warm up and to keep me walking fast, I listen to some nice, fast rhythm tunes. Same for the cool down and once at home I do plenty of stretching.

I found it nicer to run/walk on the grass, but be careful with hidden holes, branches etc

Another thing I quite like is tiger balm or deep heat massage on the sore muscle before going to bed! Don't overdo it but don't give up!

• More good advice. I'm not back running yet. Went for a lunchtime walk and it made the pain cone back! So I am going to wait until it doesn't hurt at all before running again. Very frustrating! Thanks.

You may also like...