Couch to 5K
71,772 members103,798 posts

Week 8 run 3, now work on my pace or distance?

So I'm planing to complete run 3 for week 8 and I'm confident that week 9 is going to be pretty straightforward as I've cheated a little and have run 30+ min for both runs this week (my last run was 44 min)

I'm doing around 6:47 min/km pace and I think the max non-stop distance I can do is about 7km at the moment

Ideally I want to run sub 6 min pace OR 10k once a week as my next target but not sure which one to focus on first after graduating. Any suggestions?

Note: I had to repeat week 5 about 7 times because I just kept picking up injuries and that I think helped immensely with my stamina hence the reason I've been ignoring the recommended 28 min runs for week 8 and going for 37 or 44 min runs, I definitely don't recommend you do this, please follow the programme as intended.

12 Replies
oldestnewest

Depends what your future plans are really. Week 9 sounds like it’s gonna be a breeze. After that there are many paths open to you, more distance, more speed, more comfortable runs.

True, that's why I thought I'll ask here ... to get an idea of what people normally go for after graduating.

I personally don't have a preference, I just need a goal to keep myself motivated really

I’d probably work on speed a little if unsure... if you decide to be a 1500m runner or a marathon runner it’ll help. So I’d go consolidate and quicken.

1 like

Do ju-ju-‘s 10k plan which will help your 5k pace come down simultaneously. Don’t push pace on your long run though.

1 like

I was not aware of such, can you point me to it please?

Go on to the bridge to 10k forum and look in the pinned posts 👌🏽

1 like

Just follow the plan..get to the podium injury free... a couple of weeks consolidation... maybe C25K+ podcasts too and then take a peek at this post...

healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

Then when you have graduated, and moved on.. take alook at Bridge to 10K, where loads of the seasoned graduates will give you excellent advice...:)

1 like

That's exactly the guidance I was looking for, thank you so much! Didn't realise there was a whole Bridge to 10k .. think I will focus on distance than speed

1 like

Go you...like me... built for distance not speed..:). although.... I did win a cup for running for my County... fastest Girls' 880 yards.... Yes... I am that old... Yards !!!

1 like

:) :)

Thanks all, just came back from my week 8 run 3, was a but warm but still managed 6.1km in about 43 minutes.

Now 2 days rest and then week 9!

1 like

Well done...cruise to the podium:)

You may also like...