Couch to 5K
73,533 members105,509 posts

Race for Life 2018 - my first race, first bling

Oooh this feels so grown up (if not terribly original!).

It's about 14 months since I started C25K and today I ran our local Race for Life. Despite the heat, dust and congested start, I managed to run through the finish gate with a clock time of 29:46, only my second ever sub-30 minute 5K. My first race done, I guess I no longer have any excuse to put off doing our local park run! I love how far I've come, in my own time and in my own way, since starting this program. It has genuinely changed my life in a major and very positive way.

I know I've said it a 100 times before, but this forum and all it's lovely contributors have played a huge part in that. Thank you to everyone who has encouraged me. In return, I hope this might encourage those who are starting out on their own C25K journey - it is a wonderful thing you are doing :)

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Congratulations and you must have been quick, race for life is notoriously difficult to get near a PB on. You’ll love parkrun, some parks are of course flatter than others, but you get individual PBs on each if you like stats.

1 like

We managed to get at the end of the runners and the front of the joggers at the start line which helped the time a lot I think. Our local parkrun is over the same land I ran today - though maybe a different route - so I really don't have any excuses. About to go on holiday so it will have to wait a couple of weeks, but it's my next target for sure.

Fabulous time and great pics. Thanks for sharing, and well done!

1 like

The time is fabulous in the context of where I was when I graduated C25K when I was nowhere near 5K in 30 minutes. To some it's fast, to some it's slow, BUT it does suggest that a bit of practice and quite a lot of determination have been worth the effort :D :D :D

Well done 💪👍😃🏃‍♀️ Congratulations 😃

Racing is a blast! Who knew 🤷‍♀️ 😁🏃‍♀️🎖

1 like

(don't tell anyone but I keep having a sneaky look at the London Landmarks half marathon which is WELL beyond my reach at the moment, maybe it's the sun that's gone to my head.....) :D :D :D

Lovely post. Well done Linda. 🏃🏻‍♀️😊🏅

1 like

Congratulations Linda! A brilliant achievement for a fantastic cause! You had that extra special fuel to give you a fantastic sub-30 too. Well done!! 😍❤️

That's right. It was very emotional, and reading all the bibs in front of me provided lots of distractions. The race was 'won' by an 8 year old boy. My daughter (who came to watch) said she got really choked when she saw him come first over the line - his bib said 'for Mum'. So many back-stories for the 1200 runners and their supporters today. And as you say, a fantastic cause.

As for fuel, I'm finding my lovely cold glass of white wine to be extra-extra special fuel right now and I may have a second one just to be sure I haven't got that wrong! Cheers :D

1 like

Cheers Linda! Lot’s to celebrate!! Enjoy! ❤️

1 like

Yay Linda, you did it! And with an incredible time, too! I am so impressed - a sub 30 min run in this heat is brilliant. Well done, you great runner you. 👏👏👏 xxx

1 like

I was well chuffed as they say! It was the heat and lack of air that was the biggest challenge for sure - I usually go out before 7am if I can but this didn't start until 11am. After finishingI I leaned against a tree and downed two bottles of water before I could speak!!! Great feeling afterwards though and raised lots of money too :)

That’s absolutely brilliant - well done you!

Thanks Sue

You may also like...