First run

Hi all! I've seen a few first-timers posting recently - best of luck to you all!

I just finished my first run, and I'm so disappointed. The very reason I stopped running last year (despite enjoying it whenever I do it) came straight back to haunt me - I get extremely severe shin cramps whenever I do much more than a brisk walk, and they never seem to go away. I know that they're technically shin splints, but they don't really feel like it - they're certainly not above 4 on the pain scale, but they do stop me from running. It feels as though my feet are deadweights, and the muscles I need in my shins to control them are made up of thin wire.

I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations as to what I can do - I warmed up BEFORE the 5 minute warm up walk, and I am a regular walker (mid-distance, if you will) already... I just don't know what to do, and it's heartbreaking! :(

P.S - I should say I have no troubles breathing, or with any other leg muscles feeling painful; it's just my shins, which makes it even more frustrating as I don't think it's a general health issue.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • That is disappointing, I can see.

What are you wearing on your feet?

Many people who get shin splints find the problem passes after getting fitted with appropriate shoes after a gait analysis.

Have you tried running much, much slower than normal?

I hope someone comes along soon who has personal experience of shin splints.

Good luck.

• Thank you for your reply! I am wearing trainers intended for running, but I haven't been professionally fitted at all - I can see that this is probably something I should look in to. Hopefully, I will be able to run again in the next few days, and I will definitely try going through the whole exercise at a much slower pace.

Thank you again for your reply!

• I used to suffer with similar pains in my shins when I tried running the first time. I found it was because my shoes were too heavy. So I went to sketcher's and bought some of their running shoes. They feel like you don't have anything on. They really made a difference to me. Hope you get sorted soon

• This is really interesting - I hadn't even thought that this might be a problem! I'll keep this in mind when I'm looking at getting new shoes. With any hope, lighter shoes might help.

• I got shin splints when I started running. It was with a group and I was fine in the beginning, when we 'trained' in a playing field. The trouble began when we moved on to road and pavement running. It may have been the harder surfaces but may also have been because I didn't want to hold the others back so perhaps ran faster than I should have. I went solo to do C25K, at my own pace on (mainly softer) routes of my choosing, and my shins have behaved ever since. Hope you get your shins sorted, too!

• I'm getting the impression that running too fast, too quickly might be an issue for me - but it's hard to get to know your own pace! I think I might try using a softer route; there's a field near me that might work perfectly. I'm happy for you sorting out your shins - it's such an irritating problem, and I thank you for your advice! Hopefully it'll help me solve my problem :)

You may also like...