Couch to 5K
52,475 members84,530 posts

Week 1 - 2nd run much harder than the first!

Hi,

This is my first post so hi everyone :-) I'm looking forward to being part of this community!

I've just started the Couch to 5k programme as I have gained a bit of weight and just want to get some confidence back and feel better about myself.

I did the 1st run on Saturday which I actually found to be ok, but I did the 2nd run this evening and my god am I exhausted! Is it normal for the first run to be easier than the 2nd?

As I sit here writing this I'm actually dreading the 3rd run in case it's even worse!

Is this something anyone else has experienced?

Gemma

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Yes! I did - ended up with a sore lower back. Just done w1r3 after 2 rest days instead of 1 and felt fab. Advice on here was 'slow down' . I think because you've done the run once the temptation is to really push yourself but slowing your pace is a good idea. Less risk of injury and more chance to think about how you are running/breathing etc. I have run evening, early morning and now afternoon. Think early morning was best time for me. So as others on her said to me, take it slow. 😄😄

2 likes

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I'm relieved I'm not the only one who has experienced this. It's interesting that you mention time of day being a factor.... my first run was in the afternoon whereas the second was in the evening so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'll definitely make a concerted effort to 'take it slow' on the 3rd run and see how I get on!

1 like

I am at wk 5 now and have found quite a few weeks I'd have a good run and then find the next one much harder. I've decided after a good run it gave me a lot of confidence and I have a feeling I probably unintentionally then spead up a bit without being ready to actually go faster. Agree with other post to just try and keep it slow.

3 likes

That's really useful to know. If I'm being honest, I was quite chuffed with how I felt after run 1 so it's quite possible I inadvertently sped up on the 2nd one due to overconfidence. I'll concentrate on taking the next one slowly and hopefully will enjoy it more.

1 like

Just go really steady and you'll be fine 🙂

1 like

Thanks for the encouragement :-)

There has to be some aches and pains, you are doing things your body does not understand :)

The mantra is, slow and steady, that is the way to get to Graduation and 30 minute runs, injury free. There have been quite a lot of posts lately about taking it gently, listen to your body and be kind to it :)

1 like

Thank you for the advice

1 like

I've just started week 3 and I definitely found week 1 harder than week 2. It's prob just ur body getting used to it but stick at it u can do it. I keep telling myself that anyway 😁

1 like

You may also like...