W6R3 smashed

W6R3 smashed

I was due to complete W6R3 on Friday but woke up feeling seriously under par. I'd had a couple of cheeky mid-week glasses of wine on Thursday evening and the punishment was out of all proportion to the crime. Anyway, I decided to give myself a break with the promise that I would definitely make up for it on Saturday.

So Saturday lunchtime I set off for the 25 minute continuous run, and I managed it. Not only did I manage it, but when Laura suggested that I might try to go a bit faster for the last 60 seconds, I actually did that too! The last 60 seconds have always been an agonising mind-over-matter crawl before. Could be that I was going downhill at the end rather than uphill, but whatever. I was grinning to myself all the way home on my 5-minute cool down walk.

I wasn't completely comfortable throughout the 25 minutes - far from it. The first 10 minutes were pretty grim, the next 10 I thought would never end. When Laura told me I was half way I thought "oh no is that all?" but I think part of the programme is about getting used to a certain level of discomfort and keeping going anyway.

The picture is my usual running route. It's a straight farm track, slightly rolling, no traffic, about one dog walker a week. I run to the end and then I run back, and repeat. Many people look for variety on their runs but at this stage I prefer predictability. I like to be able to gauge approximately how far I have left to go, and see exactly how far I've been.

I'm loving this programme. I don't expect to breeze through Week 7 but I know I can do it.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You've encouraged me to get out there this evening and get into week six! If I managed w5r3 I'm sure I'll conquer this next one too 😀

Happy running. I also love the quiet of the lanes I run on and rarely see anyone. Tis nice to have half hour of solitude isn't it?!

• Hi! Well done for doing W6R3! I'm at the same stage & feel pretty much the same during the runs. The first part is slow & takes me a while to get into it then after half way I seem to settle more. This one was hard though as I'd been away for a week so I chose somewhere different to run for motivation & went to a local arboretum to run through woodland. Your track looks long & inviting - if it works for you, that's great! Good luck with week 7 - don't give up!!

• Well done week 6 can be a bit tricky but you showed it where to go! The finish is in sight...

You may also like...