Step back and re-group: So after graduating a... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K

111,360 members144,038 posts

Step back and re-group

first_mate
first_mateGraduate

So after graduating a couple of weeks ago I've been running to my own music 3 times a week. Fab you may think, but no :( I've been struggling especially in my last 4 runs. Out of no where I've had a stitch at some point and had to have a brief walk. Not sure what's causing it as far as I know I'm not doing anything different than when I was following the plan. My run on Wednesday was horrendous, I couldn't face the big hill, my legs just weren't working so I took a detour and went for a flatter route and managed to run for about 25 minutes better than I thought I was going to do at the start. But got home feeling defeated :'(

So today I decided to go back a stage and take Laura out for an airing with W9 podcast and try my new running shoes I got in Lidl the other day. Laura must have a calming effect or similar on me as this time the run went well, I took the hill in my stride (pardon the pun). The shoes felt comfy and light. And the best of all no stitch at all.

Am I unwittingly going too fast when I use my own music? Maybe. So I think I will be taking Laura with me at least for the next few runs to get back into the groove and then work from there.

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Everyone's different but I like to know what pace I'm running at and use the Runkeeper app on my phone so I know when I'm running too fast. I see nothing wrong with "going back" to what you know and using the C25K podcasts, all that matters is that you get out there and run regularly.

jt24
jt24Graduate

I think many of us found ourselves a bit adrift at the end of the programme!

To go from such structure into the new, shiny free-range running world is quite bemusing really. I certainly found it quite beneficial to keep Laura for a few weeks just to get it all becoming a good habit and allowing me to work out what I wanted to do next.

I decided to run with no music after a while and I decided 3 runs a week of 5k minimum working on distance to 10k rather than speed was my thing. I use Endomondo on my phone and still check my pace regularly on the app to keep me right.

Good luck with finding your thing :)

🏃🏃🏃

Irish-John
Irish-JohnGraduate

I just discovered this morning (see post) that that is EXACTLY what I was doing that ruined my Running for the last few weeks - going way too fast totally unconsciously...

Had a great run this morning listening to tracks of around 120BPM - really helped me regain my all important old pace :)

McFitty
McFittyGraduate

Yep, the too fast syndrome can throw you completely. Even whilst on the programme I found some weeks the music made it easy and some made it hard. It was only afterwards I realised the BPM actually affected me! Week 7 for some reason was my favourite tempo and so if I want a nice easy feel good run, I grab Laura and week 7 and potter off😊

AlbertRoss
AlbertRossGraduate

I've found the use of a tracking app really helps in that if I do have a "bad" run (ie stopping to walk) I can review what's been going on - often I find I've set off too fast. There can be other reasons too - brewing a cold, not leaving a long enough gap after a meal, running into a headwind.... I went through a bit of a dip about 6 weeks after graduation where I just didn't seem able to do a non-stop run of more than about 20 minutes, though it passed.... I sometimes think that it's as well because of having graduated, there's no feeling of "I can't let Laura/Sarah/Michael Johnson down"..... So your gremlin starts muttering "but you've done it, you can take it easy now".... It's been important to me to have targets - in my case a monthly Parkrun with an aim to slowly improve my time - to keep my mind in gear, the body can do it but it's the muscle in the head that needs more exercise!

KS69
KS69Graduate

been having similar issues!

first_mate
first_mateGraduate

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. It helps a lot to know that it's not unusual to have this issue. I'll take a look at the apps mentioned and see if they may help me too. Looks like it'll be Tuesday before I hit the pavement again, this week looks crazy at the moment. I'm going to take Laura out and about while I figure out how I want to progress. xx Happy running all x

skysue16
skysue16Graduate

Interesting post and comments - thanks. I still like using the speed and stamina podcasts, Laura is reassuring I find. If I am not using Laura I just use runkeeper and no music so that gives me updates of pace, which helps. I hope you have had better runs recently - all the best :)

You may also like...